Import or Local

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Import or Local

Post by 4liters » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 pm

Kenle wrote:Internet shopping will destroy local businesses no doubt but tackle shops will have to be creative around thier marketing strategies to survive which from what ive seen they are pretty good, price match competitors or free bees thrown in etc... I enjoy chatting to experienced ppl that works in these shops n brows around often buying out of impulse. I guess nowadays its all about the bang for your buck, but id be sad if all the tackle shops one day vanish and online is the only place to get your gear.
It's the way we are headed, regardless of whether the current crop of retailers or wholesalers like it or not. The only retailers making the big bucks are the big online sellers like Motackle, Sneaky Fisho, Dinga, Ocean Storm and Otto's. If the traditional stores want a slice of that action they have to get online or see their profits whittled over time away as the above compete with each other and BCF for sales.

I suppose the next innovation might be an online store with a very thorough and informative fishing blog or something, maybe even a full time social media guy who can provide shoppers with a similar experience to chatting with the guy behind the counter to get some advice. Dinga has something like that, although a lot of their articles look more like plagiarized homework than something I'd base a big purchasing decision on at the moment.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:29 pm

russellh2 wrote:Not sure what the average wage for a fitter and turner? $75k+p/a?...( I presume 2017) has to do with my original post.
FYI - I started as a First year Turning and Fitting Apprentice at Caterpillar Australia in Tullamarine on $Au24:00 per week, was a 40 Hours week in those days - Mid 1960's

Strange how we tend to drift "Off Subject".
Hardly off subject. As Drew said for a similar job, he wouldn't get out of bed for a 'measly' $75k p/a. Everything that is produced or imported and then on sold has to have that high wage factored in to it's sell price for the business/es to make a profit to continue trading. Anyone who wants to buy said product then demands a pay rise in order to pay bills, buy necessities etc, receives it, domino effect with rest of the workforce coupled with relatively low population density, insanely high weekend pay rate loading and we have what is affectionately known as the Australia tax. And then every so often on all sorts of hobby forums a topic is created where someone questions why they can import a knockoff blank from China for $6 when retail stores charge $15+ for a painted and packaged version. Sure, there's some industries that make an absolute killing from markups, the fishing industry on just about every facet including commercial fishing does not.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Please refer to my comment:-
"Lures I purchased were complete lures ,Fully painted with all of the hardware attached in packaging as you would buy in a Tackle shop, Part Numbers and Origin checked to verify authenticity"

I did not purchase blanks!!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:36 am

russellh2 wrote:Please refer to my comment:-
"Lures I purchased were complete lures ,Fully painted with all of the hardware attached in packaging as you would buy in a Tackle shop, Part Numbers and Origin checked to verify authenticity"

I did not purchase blanks!!
Blanks or not there’s a reason why equipment has a price tag. Australian people want to be able to purchase on the world market with an Australian wage. Have their cake and eat it to.

Our cost of living is high everything is being outsourced overseas or humans replaced by machines. How long till we see self serve checkouts at tacklestores? More people sitting at home but hey those who went through the good times can get celtas cheap.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:59 am

OTOH Japan isn’t exactly a third world country where you get paid a few dollars a week to assemble squid jigs, frequently it is cheaper to buy stuff straight from there rather than locally.

I’d argue that high wages are less of a problem than commercial rent and energy prices too; at least high wages increase buying power of consumers so there’s a chance the stores might get some of it back through the till
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:21 am

4liters wrote:OTOH Japan isn’t exactly a third world country where you get paid a few dollars a week to assemble squid jigs, frequently it is cheaper to buy stuff straight from there rather than locally.

I’d argue that high wages are less of a problem than commercial rent and energy prices too; at least high wages increase buying power of consumers so there’s a chance the stores might get some of it back through the till
What’s manufactured in japan now?
Rent and power are a problem also to me it’s a combination of all these things.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:04 am

cobby wrote:
russellh2 wrote:Not sure what the average wage for a fitter and turner? $75k+p/a?...( I presume 2017) has to do with my original post.
FYI - I started as a First year Turning and Fitting Apprentice at Caterpillar Australia in Tullamarine on $Au24:00 per week, was a 40 Hours week in those days - Mid 1960's

Strange how we tend to drift "Off Subject".
Hardly off subject. As Drew said for a similar job, he wouldn't get out of bed for a 'measly' $75k p/a. Everything that is produced or imported and then on sold has to have that high wage factored in to it's sell price for the business/es to make a profit to continue trading. Anyone who wants to buy said product then demands a pay rise in order to pay bills, buy necessities etc, receives it, domino effect with rest of the workforce coupled with relatively low population density, insanely high weekend pay rate loading and we have what is affectionately known as the Australia tax. And then every so often on all sorts of hobby forums a topic is created where someone questions why they can import a knockoff blank from China for $6 when retail stores charge $15+ for a painted and packaged version. Sure, there's some industries that make an absolute killing from markups, the fishing industry on just about every facet including commercial fishing does not.
Mate what are you talking about? Saying some products you sell to just get your money back? Come on. You can buy these same lures that are $20 in tackle stores for half that off a jap site for the same lure. and the same goes with rods and reels. It doesn't cost $5 a lure to get over here. Everyone has bills and expenses. Not just the tackle industry

trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by trout-hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 am

Fishing gear has gone through the roof,
It comes down to what we want or what we need. I remember my grandad using nothing but bamboo with line tied to it with a hook and home made sinkers for eels, carp, redfin, trout and black fish, he didnt starv.
Even made his own spinners out of spoons or coins.
Growing up our boat was a little tinny with no fish finder or depth sounder, we didnt have expencive rods and reels with the newest braid line, still got fish though. Fishing isn't ment to be expencive and cost us a wage for a new rod and reel. Fish haven't changed and become smarter, people just put a high price tag on things and say its guaranteed to catch more fish.
Remember that lures catch fishermen before they catch fish!

telr

Post by telr » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:52 am

Hi,
I just couldn't resist posting, I've been here in Tassie for 5 years, now near 70 (68), moved to our grandkids from NQ (no cyclones either), and feel a need to have a word in support of local retailers, having spent time in retail in the 1970's in camera stores, when overseas travel was just kicking off, the internet didn't exist, and aforesaid travellers were skiting about how much they saved, a lot of the time cheaper than our wholesale buying price, and we were in the lowest structure of those. We could even then see how much cheaper American retailers were selling stuff, way below our cost (even before the then 27.5% sales tax was added), profit margins then were low on big ticket items, 20% was acceptable. We will always be slugged while we have a small market, and our retail will follow our manufacturing industry, we're going to end up a quarry and farm for the rest of the world, and watch on as the miners and harvesters collect what the new owners want, and leave us with the leftovers.
Somehow, I'm kinda glad I'm likely to miss the end result of this revolution, but try to support our local retailers, won't ever own Stradics, or Sage, or any high end gear, but the local tackle & fly shops carry enough cheaper gear to keep me going and marvelling at how much better it is than the high quality gear of the 1970's, when I started getting past solid glass rods & Alvey reels. Ranting a bit, sorry, but those small retailers aren't making a mint out of you, (most likely paddling like crazy to keep above water), but still give the same advice to their customers. Check their info on what's biting where against Amazon Cabelas, or similar, they're likely to be more accurate (and obliging!)

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:12 am

rb85 wrote:
4liters wrote:OTOH Japan isn’t exactly a third world country where you get paid a few dollars a week to assemble squid jigs, frequently it is cheaper to buy stuff straight from there rather than locally.

What’s manufactured in japan now?
Rent and power are a problem also to me it’s a combination of all these things.
Of course it's a combination. It isn't unavoidable though because there are Australian fishing tackle retailers who are making lots of money and who could afford to give consumers a better deal IF the industry wasn't so protective of the traditional stores and their inefficient business practices.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”