Import or Local

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Import or Local

Post by russellh2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Have followed review of very popular and successful lure sold in Victoria @ $15 each.

Following some research was able to purchase 6 off identical lures, direct from the overseas manufacturer, @ $6 each landed.

If the Tackle supply industry, huge multinationals as well as the smaller operators, wants to survive in Australia they need to review their pricing policies.
If they purchase the identical lures, from the same overseas manufacturer, for the same price that I did, which I doubt, and sell for $15 each, there is something wrong.
Yes I understand the costs associated with running a business - Wages / Rent / Insurance / etc. etc.

Constructive feedback only.

ingeer

Re: Import or Local

Post by ingeer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:36 pm

there's why government will enforce ebay gst in the future.. but even adding 10% on top of import price it would still be much cheaper...

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:55 pm

what lures are we talking about?

you can buy blanks of almost Any hardbody lure really cheap from china, then colour them locally and seel for quite a large profit.
Its mostly the colours and certain profiles that work.
So buying the same blank cheap and making your own colours might not work as well.

But yes lures are a big business here and lots of people are making money on them locally

trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by trout-hunter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:47 pm

I was looking at buying celta spinners a while back from the manufacturer in france, i could get them for 25 cents each from memory but minimum purchase was 3500 because i didnt have a related business. So maby if registering a fishing business of some sort you could probably get less for the same price. Cant see local tackle shops buying that many..

Also check out the rapala app, some good deals on there and much more of a variety.

russellh2

Post by russellh2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Trout-hunter
Re Rapala, 10+ years ago, or more, I was purchasing bulk lots of 25 originals, at $Au4:00 each landed - now have a large tub full of cd3 and cd5 in many, many colours - Floating / Suspended and Sinking, probably well over 100, only used 10 at the most.
Did similar with JD Lures, except bought individual lures, got 60+.
Tackle rats do not stop, they only slow down.

walk the streams

Post by walk the streams » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:30 pm

its not only lures, I have not bought a rod or reel locally for 10 years, we are treated like mugs.
Once or twice a year I get together with a nephew and a mate and we do a large purchase of lures as well. Often there are 30+ colours in a range and yet us poor suckers only have access to a handful locally, and they are often double the price that you can land them for from the usa

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Russel what do you do for a crust? Don’t have to be too specific.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm with you mate. The tackle store pricing on most things is ridiculous. I buy most of my things off the net and only buy things i need at that moment from stores or if its on sale and cheaper than a fishing tackle site. The tackle stores complain that they have all these costs.. I'm sorry but that's not really my problem. If they want their business to survive they need to keep up with the times. If starting an internet store is what needs to be done, then that's what needs to be done.

Anth

russellh2

Post by russellh2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:17 pm

purple5ive
Lures I purchased were complete lures ,Fully painted with all of the hardware attached in packaging as you would buy in a Tackle shop, Part Numbers and Origin checked to verify authenticity.

rb85
Background - Turner and Fitter and toolmaker by trade + Diploma of Mechanical Engineering - Spent last 30+ years of my career Designing / Implementing and Maintaining Quality Management Systems - Now retired.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:I'm with you mate. The tackle store pricing on most things is ridiculous. I buy most of my things off the net and only buy things i need at that moment from stores or if its on sale and cheaper than a fishing tackle site. The tackle stores complain that they have all these costs.. I'm sorry but that's not really my problem. If they want their business to survive they need to keep up with the times. If starting an internet store is what needs to be done, then that's what needs to be done.

Anth
agree well said

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”