Plenty river

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
ThomoT

Plenty river

Post by ThomoT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has any general advice for fishing around the plenty river between the yarra and the gorge?

I have been fishing the yarra and wondered where is worth a try on the plenty, is there much biting, what to target?
Cheers in advance.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Plenty river

Post by laneends » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:10 pm

Old swimming hole on Partington flats behind Greensborough, and some holes across the parklands around University hill across from Clovemont Way. Dowstream of greensborough not a lot of good spots i dont think. But dont quote me on that.

Mainly carp I expect

arabshark

Post by arabshark » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:10 am

Target eels with a float rig with some red meat underneath. There's millions of eels behind the football oval in Montmorency

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:37 am

OK thanks. I'll try to give it a go soon.

I haven't tried for eels before. But given their availability maybe I should. Might have to learn how to smoke them.

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 am

So I went out a couple of weeks ago and caught 3 eels on beef heart. These are the first eels I have caught so I didn't really know what to do with them.

I watched a couple of you tubes and had a go at gutting 3 and then filleting 2. They are tough slippery hombres.

I marinated some fillets in a teriyaki style and put them on the bbq. They were not that great :-( .

Then I brined some fillets and the whole one and put them on the Weber with heat bead s and pretty much smoked them. They were much better.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:23 am

ThomoT wrote:So I went out a couple of weeks ago and caught 3 eels on beef heart. These are the first eels I have caught so I didn't really know what to do with them.

I watched a couple of you tubes and had a go at gutting 3 and then filleting 2. They are tough slippery hombres.

I marinated some fillets in a teriyaki style and put them on the bbq. They were not that great :-( .

Then I brined some fillets and the whole one and put them on the Weber with heat bead s and pretty much smoked them. They were much better.
Well done Thomo
Do they still nail them to a tree, to skin them ??
Just for fun, if you get some more, before cooking sprinkle them with salt.

Gra

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Cheers. I have read about nailing to a tree. But just tried to skin them on the chopping board. It took some effort to do. And I need a longer chopping board!

I used some salt to help get the slime off.

Are you saying to sprinkle with salt on the fillets just before frying?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:48 pm

ThomoT wrote:Cheers. I have read about nailing to a tree. But just tried to skin them on the chopping board. It took some effort to do. And I need a longer chopping board!

I used some salt to help get the slime off.

Are you saying to sprinkle with salt on the fillets just before frying?
Only to see then squirm
Yes they will

Gra

bilby

Post by bilby » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:20 pm

Be careful if skinning with bare hands - I learnt this the hard way, skinning a big eel caught from the estuary at Marlo years ago. The blood has a neurotoxin in it that causes a great deal of pain if it gets into your bloodstream via broken skin, cuts, etc. My fingers and hands swelled up painfully for days!

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”