Yarra river this time of year

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
ThomoT

Yarra river this time of year

Post by ThomoT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi All,

Since asking for help on fishing spots I have been out quite a few mornings in the Heidelberg area and Westerfolds. Lately it has either been totally quiet with no nibbles on worms, corn, even scrubbies or persistently lots of little bites on worms, but no hookups.

Does anyone have a feel for whether the fish go quiet as it gets colder? Do you know what all those nibbles are (and how to catch them)?

As a side here is some company I had last trip.
IMG_20170424_070357s.jpg
Cheers,

Thomo

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Yarra river this time of year

Post by Whiskers » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:25 pm

A lot of factors can influence whether the fish are biting or not. Sometimes a rapid cooling of water temperature, sudden falling of barometric pressure and/or water clarity or the amount of stream flow rates will affect the fish.

Sometimes you will need to fish in ways that you don't try too often, for example, don't anchor your bait to one spot, fish lighter and let it move with the current. Try float fishing, not only with a bait close to the bottom but also set your float to fish at different depths. If the fish are holding at mid water a bait on the bottom isn't going to attract many enquiries. If the fish aren't biting you have to try some different approaches until you find one that works. Sometimes it can be something as simple as using smaller baits.

The lots of little nibbles you've been experiencing may be Maquarie Perch. Little Maccas are notoriously quick biters. Reduce your hook size and you will have a better chance of a hook-up.

The rain we've had today will probably cause a very rapid rise in water levels and lots of discoloration. This will probably put the fish off feed for a while but worms or cheese fished hard up against the banks may tempt a few fish to bite.

Good Luck.
:water:

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 pm

That all makes sense. I have been trying a few different approaches with hook size, bait, location... I'll keep experimenting. I'm always torn between being patient and changing it up.

Do maccas usually need the hook to be set? Maybe I am being a bit passive, waiting for them to swallow it.

Does anyone have any comment on how the fishing changes across the year?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Usually the fishing slows down a fair bit when it gets colder.. our natives like it a bit warmer.

Anth

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Fair enough. Although when I think about it most of the fish are either not native to Australia or not native to the river.

Murray Cod and Macca's are from the Murray darling system. Carp, reddies, trout all introduced. Eels seem to be the only native that are in any numbers?

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 pm

ThomoT wrote: Do maccas usually need the hook to be set? Maybe I am being a bit passive, waiting for them to swallow it.
They play with it a bit, so I would wait for a couple of nibbles then a little tug, as if you were going to hop the bait, if there is resistance then strike hard

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 pm

ThomoT wrote:Does anyone have a feel for whether the fish go quiet as it gets colder?
That's not a feel, that's a very well known scientific fact. Fish are unable to regulate their body temperature, so they are influenced by the temperature around them. If the water is warm, fish metabolism accelerates, feeding and respiration increases, and there is a general increase in movement. If the water is cooler, fish become lethargic and tend to be inactive.
ThomoT wrote:Do you know what all those nibbles are (and how to catch them)?
Use smaller hooks, size 10, maybe even 12.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 pm

ThomoT wrote:Fair enough. Although when I think about it most of the fish are either not native to Australia or not native to the river.

Murray Cod and Macca's are from the Murray darling system. Carp, reddies, trout all introduced. Eels seem
to be the only native that are in any numbers?
murray cod are as native as you can get

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:06 pm

I thought they were introduced to the Yarra?

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:51 am

ThomoT wrote:I thought they were introduced to the Yarra?
Orrinally the yarra was full off cod

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”