General questions about fishing in Melbourne

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
flyingman101au

General questions about fishing in Melbourne

Post by flyingman101au » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Hello guys, glad to find this community! I am new to this hobby and Melbourne, will stay here for 6 months or so :-D The only tool I've got so far is a fishing net as attached, but am also considering to buy a fish trap from Kmart.
I'd be very grateful if you could help me with the following questions:
a. which river/creek/reservoir is easily accessible by tram/train in Melbourne that the fishing net or a fish trap could be put to good use? The targeted species include any small fish and shrimps (to be used as live feeders). It'd be even better if the place has plenty of aquatic plants as well.
b. Any place where red ramshorn snails can be found?
c. Do I need to acquire any license before catching the small fish and shrimps? Is there anything to watch for at the recommended location (e.g. venomous snake or spider, protected fish etc.)?
Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help!!!
Attachments
IMG_3356.JPG
IMG_3352.JPG

Nuscani

Re: General questions about fishing in Melbourne

Post by Nuscani » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 pm

I can give you the answer to C and that is the law is you do require a license to fish for anything and if caught without a license you will be fined.
Last edited by Nuscani on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:04 pm

I get what you are saying but it is for the greater good. But yeah, make sure you get a licence OP!
Last edited by Kadmium on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Yeh Kadmium is right. They are only like $30 or something.
Last edited by Nuscani on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingman101au

Post by flyingman101au » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Thank you both very much, now it's clear that a license is indeed needed :D Will get one as soon as a location is found!

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:39 pm

With question a, you can go to the yarra at heyington station on the glen waverley line. Ive seen people pull up bream there in the past. Just watch out for the rowers though. You don't wanna get a lawsuit on your hands by accidently hooking one :-D
Last edited by Nuscani on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:40 pm

flyingman101au wrote:Thank you both very much, now it's clear that a license is indeed needed :D Will get one as soon as a location is found!
No problem mate.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Yeah I agree with you on that. I believe however that these days they can look you up?

Kind of agree it's becoming a nanny state but then again the average person these days are becoming more about themselves and less the community. I think you make a good point about no tests or anything. Even a one off "fish id" test would be great kind of like a duck id.
Last edited by Kadmium on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:44 pm

I remember when I was a kid at school and we went to Jells park and used little nets to catch all sorts of small critters from the lake there. I think you can get there by bus. Not sure how convenient it is to you but you might want to pack a picnic lunch and head down there for a day and see what comes up in your net and trap.

If you are under 18 I don't believe you need a fishing license.

flyingman101au

Post by flyingman101au » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 pm

skronkman wrote:I remember when I was a kid at school and we went to Jells park and used little nets to catch all sorts of small critters from the lake there. I think you can get there by bus. Not sure how convenient it is to you but you might want to pack a picnic lunch and head down there for a day and see what comes up in your net and trap.

If you are under 18 I don't believe you need a fishing license.
That's very helpful, thank you very much! That park is not so far away and can be accessed relatively easily. I'll manage a trip this or next month there and see what can be caught :super:

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”