Newbie tips for Yarra fishing

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
ThomoT

Newbie tips for Yarra fishing

Post by ThomoT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi All,

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum, it has been good reading so far. I've recently decided to start fishing in the yarra in the Heidelberg area and I'm hoping to get some advice to help me have some success.

So far i have mostly caught small carp, a couple of eels, a small murray cod (first ever!) and a turtle :down:

ThomoT

Re: Newbie tips for Yarra fishing

Post by ThomoT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 pm

BAIT: Any suggestions? I have had most success with garden worms and a bit with corn. No luck with spinners or soft plastic squidgies.
TACKLE: I have been using a small slip sinker above a swivel and fairly small hooks. I had larger hooks originally but thought smaller hooks might give me a better chance.

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 pm

WHEN: I mostly go early in the morning about 6:30am and then head home mid morning. One morning there were plenty of carp feeding near the bank, then when I go back to this great spot another day, not a sausage. Does weather, rain, temp, barometer have an influence?

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:26 pm

LOCATION: I have found a few spots with reasonable access to the river and others must fish there too judging by the forked sticks and rubbish. But mostly the banks are steep. Do I need to be a mountain goat to get a line in?

Any advice is appreciated,

ThomoT
(PS I broke up this question because I was having trouble posting)

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Thomo

It sounds like your approach to fishing the Yarra is very good.

I'd make the comment that there is a greater range of species in the Heidelberg area than you listed. Further, you can to some degree target the various species.

The best all round bait is worms, on a running sinker, number 6 hook is a good general size. If you find backwaters with little current and there is sufficient weight to cast then fish without a sinker. That way the worms don't sink into the mud and a gentle current moves the bait towards the fish.

One fish you didn't list are roach which occasionally come through in small schools. They tend to feed near the surface. You can target them and carp with a float, small hook (say number 10) worms or a dough mixture. Roach can bite very well during the middle of the day.

Macquarie perch and redfin are present and the worms on the bottom strategy is your best bet.

Eels are best fished running sinker with beef heart for bait. Most people target them after dark but beef heart works quite well at times during the day - not as many bites per hour but often produces good fish.

The different species also tend to feed at different times, depending on the season. At twighlight eels take over but just before this is a good time for the other species like carp, redfin and maccas. In the cooler months, when eels are quiet you can fish after dark with worms for carp and maccas.

In general when the river is high or discoloured after rain better fishing can sometimes be had well after sunrise or mid afternoon rather than twilight. The Yarra has many moods!

Hope that helps.

Truedogz

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Honestly it sounds like you have the right things going on - there isn't much to add (other than you could experiment with adding some berley). I'd say to keep persisting at the spots you've had luck, you'll learn how to fish them more, and with time there is the chance something will cross your path, rather than you trying to cross it's path. New spots don't always mean quick success and bigger + better fish.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:50 am

half the fun is finding access spots.

Some spots to try:
behind banyule tennis club

westerfolds park & fitzsimmons rd bridge area
Griffith park to sweeneys lane
Behind Venito Club Bulleen

Generally just wander the various tracks along the banks and see where you can get access. Access will vary according to recent growth and water level. Often a bit of inventive bush bashing gets you to the cleaner spots, as the piles of rubbish in places is sickening.

If you are getting little nibbles dont strike too quick as both carp and maccas will play with bait before swallowing it.

Your rig set up is fine. Its an easy retie when you snag up. I use the slim 'barrel" sinkers rather than round ones.If you are in a very snaggy area shorten or eliminate final leader from swivel to hook,this reduces hook wafting into snags. Retreive with a quick jerk to avoid dragging along bottom.

As mentioned, evenings up to dusk probably fishes best, particularly for maccas. Worms best all round bait by far.

ThomoT

Post by ThomoT » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips, there is a lot of good information there.

I was out yesterday morning and didn't get many bites. All on the corn, none on worms. Managed to catch a small carp. The big one I saw feeding near the bank wasn't interested at all :(

I think I might give an afternoon/dusk a try next time. Dough sounds like a good alternative to corn perhaps. I like corn because it is so easy to use. No digging for worms and trying to convince them to get on the hook.

What fish does everyone eat out of the yarra, if any? I've had redfin from lake hume which are tasty.

Carp seem to be not much good for anything. Can they be used for bait, or fed to the cat? :-D

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Dont bother eating anything out of yarra. The maccas and cod would most likely be undersized. Redfin are good but not that plentiful. If eel or carp are your thing then good luck. carp makes good fertilizer if you can be arsed carting them home. Eel make decent gummy bait if you fish for gummies.

I hate buying worms,especially just to feed the carp, but my garden has been well ravaged and barren of worms now. Corn is ok as it gives you something to nibble on and scatter as berley too.Always handy to have a couple of tins in the tackle box for when you have nothing else Bit of cheese can get you cod and carp.

mrcursa

Post by mrcursa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi guys, i am a regular to fishing the Yarra between Warrandyte to Heidelberg. I can tell you now that there are some BIG Cod in there. Pics i have attached are of a 70cm caught and also by a 1 metre one caught by a fellow Yarra fisherman off another page i am on.
Blocks of Coon Cheese are the go for getting these, by running a Paternoster Rig :-)

All fish were released unharmed!
Attachments
700mm.png
metrey.jpg

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”