Plenty River spots?

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Joshski

Plenty River spots?

Post by Joshski » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi everyone, going to fish the plenty river in the next couple of days and was just wondering if there is any decent spots around eltham to heildelberg. I've never fished plenty river before only the Yarra but came out with 0 fish and about 30 snags. So just hoping if anyone can tell me any good spots along there to catch anything, mainly going to be fishing with worms, corn and cheese, would also like to know about what bait would be good thanks.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Plenty River spots?

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 pm

30 snags? Sounds like you are fishing in the right spots then. Unfortunately that's how those waters fish. Running sinker rig, leader running between 30-60cm.

If your bait is snagged as soon as it hits the bottom, I think you are severely reducing your chances of getting a look in, let alone hook up opportunity

I do my best to make sure I'm not snagged on the cast landing. Hard to explain, but when the sinker hits the water, I let a few feet of line spool out then flip the bail arm over. Put the rod in the holder, wait for it to hit the bottom then reel in the slack just until the line starts to get taught. When it gets to that point, I pull the line by hand watching the rod tip bend. At this point I'm looking for either the rod tip to keep bending over (meaning I'm likely snagging up) or for it to eventually straighten out (meaning I'm likely over and free of snags).

If it keeps bending, I'll take it out of the rod holder - hold it well above my head and reel in fast and do the whole process again. This has been my best way to avoid snags as much as possible - in my experience anyway, it's more a trial and error process than a science.

Hope that helps

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Plenty River spots?

Post by laneends » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:06 pm

cant really access it between Heidleberg and Eltham, as it runs through golf courses. From lower plenty hotel up to Greensborough, through Yallambie/Mountmorency there is a path running by it for access. Good spot right behind greensborough (disused swimming hole)

If you are getting a lot of snags you can shorten leader length between sinker and hook (on a running sinker rig) reduces hook wafting into snags. on retrieve lift it fast to get it off bottom.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”