Upper maribyrnong report (Keilor East)

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Upper maribyrnong report (Keilor East)

Post by Leonard » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 pm

Having been busted off twice recently by big carp on the upper maribyrnong near Brimbank park, I returned keen to catch one of the buggers. I set up my two rods, one with a float and one on the bottom and used cream of corn as burley (my favourite for carp). In a moment of dwindling intelligence I decided to have a little walk over some rocks and up the other bank and upon my return my foat rod was gone. It took a moment to click, but I quickly shedded some layers and began wading around the river with a stick looking for my rod. I was quite luck in that I managed to see my flat about 15m away from where it was and then found my rod on the riverbed directly beneath me. I started reeling in and realised I'd hooked the biggest carp I've ever seen. It took an age to land, having been hooked on dodgy kmart line and a size 12 hook, but I finally got it onto the bank. It was 67cm long and was by far the heaviest fish I've ever caught. I'm adamant that it was 5kg plus.

I'm intending to head back to the area to chase some reddies. Could anyone please give me some advice on good spots along the maribyrnong around brimbank that consistently produce redfin? I'm after some fun fish that don't smell so bad, and even a feed if they're big enough. I would of course keep the location quiet if that's preferable.

Here's the carp: http://imgur.com/CzZ1kkT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Leonard on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

alaskanaturally

Re: Upper maribyrnong report (Keilor East)

Post by alaskanaturally » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:21 am

Beautiful fish. Is that a secret spot? We love carp fishing.
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:13 am

alaskanaturally wrote:Beautiful fish. Is that a secret spot? We love carp fishing.
Australia's most hated fish I think. Victorian regulations are that they are not to be returned to the water as they are declared noxious. Just thought I'd mention it if you do decide to chase carp... Have to be prepared to consume or otherwise dispose of the carcass (and not into the waterway).

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:38 am

sloth wrote:
alaskanaturally wrote:Beautiful fish. Is that a secret spot? We love carp fishing.
Australia's most hated fish I think. Victorian regulations are that they are not to be returned to the water as they are declared noxious. Just thought I'd mention it if you do decide to chase carp... Have to be prepared to consume or otherwise dispose of the carcass (and not into the waterway).
Consume? YUCK

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:01 am

I wouldn't say it was a secret spot at all, but PM me if you'd like to know where as I think there's too many empty corn cans around the place. There's certainly better sports along that part of the river if you can get to them. I haven't been there, but apparently under the EJ Whitten bridge there's much deeper water which should produce more carp, or at least less wary ones.

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:21 am

sloth wrote:
I'm going to add a significant word to the above "not to be returned *alive* to the water".... Seems it's not exactly clear on how you should dispose of the carcass ...

alaskanaturally

Post by alaskanaturally » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:33 am

bong wrote:
I wouldn't say it was a secret spot at all, but PM me if you'd like to know where as I think there's too many empty corn cans around the place. There's certainly better sports along that part of the river if you can get to them. I haven't been there, but apparently under the EJ Whitten bridge there's much deeper water which should produce more carp, or at least less wary ones.
We've eaten many carp. All were excellent. Perhaps it was where we caught them. In fact, we visited relatives in Europe last summer. Carp was on the menu almost every dinner. They sold for the equivalent of about $10. a kg. We know many Americans and Australians disdain them. We don't understand. Thanks for the info. We'll give it a try when we get there.
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:24 pm

alaskanaturally wrote:
bong wrote:
We've eaten many carp. All were excellent. Perhaps it was where we caught them. In fact, we visited relatives in Europe last summer. Carp was on the menu almost every dinner. They sold for the equivalent of about $10. a kg. We know many Americans and Australians disdain them. We don't understand. Thanks for the info. We'll give it a try when we get there.

No worries mate! I was asked by a lady who eats them if it 'smelt clean' and I can say it wasn't too bad as far as carp go - certainly not as bad as the Taylor's lakes storm water monsters.

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:05 pm

sloth wrote:
sloth wrote:
I'm going to add a significant word to the above "not to be returned *alive* to the water".... Seems it's not exactly clear on how you should dispose of the carcass ...

Not to be returned to the water. Full stop.

Its illegal to return them to the water dead because the eggs can survive and hatch back into the water.

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:37 pm

I agree they shouldn't go back dead either. Unfortunately not supported by the actual wording of the regs which is why I modified my initial statement :

"Bag/possession limit: no limit, must not be returned to the water alive given noxious status."

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”