Pykes Creek res

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Born2fish

Pykes Creek res

Post by Born2fish » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Took the family down to pykes creek res for a little bit so little one can play at the park. So I decided to take some hard bodys to flick walked the bank flicking found the small reddies were on the chew to my surprise landing 3 in 10 min. Im heading back this afternoon for sun set hopefully the biggies are on the chew if I get some I'll get pics.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Pykes Creek res

Post by davek » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Good Luck :thumbsup: , I may do the same in the channel over here, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Good luck this afternoon mate. Hope you get onto a few big ones :thumbsup:

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Cheers lightingx

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Could imagine there'd be a few jet skiers and water skiers there this arvo! Not that that's a bad thing though from a LB perspective, as the fish will come in close at last light to feed in that stirred up water along the edges. Pykes is a mysterious place. Lots of fish have gone in, but very few seem to come out. There should be some monsters in there I reckon. First and last light I reckon is the key. I hit it hard once chasing a big reddie LB, and I learnt to always be ready at these peak times. 42cms is my PB from here at this stage. Next time I make the effort will be with my tinny and might downrig a cupla small live reddies along the ol' creek bed. There's gotta be something big lurking down there...

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Just got back lost one from a hook up on a sub dog Berkeley. Was flicking minnows and rapalas no joy then noticed bait on the surface skipping on the surface and noticed a reddies chasing em. Decent size is well so changed to a sub dog and had a hook up after 3 cast felt decent to few head shakes and was gone.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 am

Redhunter wrote:Next time I make the effort will be with my tinny and might downrig a cupla small live reddies along the ol' creek bed. There's gotta be something big lurking down there...
Pretty certain it's illegal to use Redfin as live bait. Not 100% though.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:27 am

Kadmium wrote: Pretty certain it's illegal to use Redfin as live bait. Not 100% though.
Just had a look at the regs. It's illegal to use noxious species as live bait, but redfin's not listed as a noxious species (http://delwp.vic.gov.au/fishing-and-hun ... n-victoria), so should be fine.

Off-topic, but the list is an interesting read and makes me wonder how some of the species got on there. Was it because of outbreaks here? Or how they have spread elsewhere? or to stop someone importing them? Or just because? There are some very interesting (and worrying) fish on the list.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:10 am

Mike_M wrote:
Kadmium wrote: Pretty certain it's illegal to use Redfin as live bait. Not 100% though.
Just had a look at the regs. It's illegal to use noxious species as live bait, but redfin's not listed as a noxious species (http://delwp.vic.gov.au/fishing-and-hun ... n-victoria), so should be fine.

Off-topic, but the list is an interesting read and makes me wonder how some of the species got on there. Was it because of outbreaks here? Or how they have spread elsewhere? or to stop someone importing them? Or just because? There are some very interesting (and worrying) fish on the list.
http://fishing-victoria.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2699

You are correct. No minimum size and not noxious. Only restrictions are you must use them where you caught em not somewhere else. I might try threading a little tacker onto a jig like a SP ;)
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

FreeSpool

Post by FreeSpool » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:20 am

I have been fishing Pykes Creek now since it filled up back in 2011 and i can say that the fish have dropped off quite a bit.
I used to get there at approx 3-4 pm and within an hour or two i would have at least 5 carp on the bank and maybe 2 or 3 reddies and sometimes even a small rainbow trout.
But the last 2 years have been really slow for some reason i still fish the same spot next to the playground.
I think its time to get a tinnie and fish the opposite shoreline as it does not get any fishing pressure and may produce a little better.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”