Disappointing

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
longbob

Disappointing

Post by longbob » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:16 am

I have just bought a copy of a popular freshwater fishing magazine on the strength of an advertised article about Melbourne's suburban fishing spots. "At last" was the thought.
How disappointed I was to read it and realise it was mostly DPI Guide to Victoria's Angling Waters. re written virtually word for word. I wasted $10 for something I already had and that has been available for yonks. Apart from anything else the info was out of date and incorrect. Won't be ever buying that mag again :angryfire:
While on the subject of mags [and TV shows], I suspect the vast majority of anglers do NOT have beautiful boats with huge twin outboards, and regularly pop out to the continental shelf to do battle with monster fish, or head up to Broome and other exotic locations for their fish fix.[ Mind you, it would be awesome so to do] I rather think they might be family people, limited budgets and time, who really enjoy dropping a line into the wet whenever and wherever they get the chance, even if it is in the local quarry or creek, and enjoy seeing their little tackers landing their first toady. Either that, or the old codger enjoying the sunshine and quiet of the riverbank.
So perhaps a little more reality from our fishing writers
My Sunday rant over and done. Tight lines, all you fishing folks :cheers:

Tomcat1

Re: Disappointing

Post by Tomcat1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:51 am

lol thats the difference between professional fishermen and us. we can go to a place thats been over fished and always crowded and catch nice fish. they have to go to a place that is never fished so thy can catch the fish lol.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:46 am

Longbob you could not be more right - the same thing has annoyed me for years.
It is why I enjoy this forum so much, you get to see and hear where the "everyday" fisherperson goes. And get the hints and tips for the same.
I gave up on most of the mags years ago, and rarely watch any of the shows any more.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:17 am

I stopped buying fishing magazines a long time ago. Pretty much every article reads the same way. We went here (probably for free) and used this gear (insert shimano or daiwa sponsors latest product). Our giant boat (more sponsors names) is perfect for this kind of fishing because we get paid to say so. We caught a @#$%load of fish because we're better than you. The end. By the time the article gets published it's 6 months out of date.

Enter fishvic forums. Come in, introduce yourself politely and ask a simple question (my first post was about lake hume). Get an overwhelming answer. Read the reports. Learn, develop and enjoy.

Fishing shows are just as bad as soapies like home and away in painting an unrealistic expectation of reality. If you think because you bought a nitro and a stradic and a box full of $22 dollar hardbodies you saw on TV that you're going to land a 3kg trout the first time you go to the yarra you're going to be massively dissappointed.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:21 am

I agree too guys, we had a couple of fisho's here in Tasmania that started up a fishing show and it was all on local fishing of rivers and the salt water and it was great. Then they went bigger and now they're travelling all over the country with a massive boat and 4 WD fishing and I don't even bother to watch them any longer. Time they went back to basics and kept the show local for the local fisher's. That's just my thoughts any way. There's plenty of other fishing shows on the tele now to watch on fishing in most states of Australia any way.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:28 am

Any of you guys ever watched a show called big angry fish?
A couple of new zeland blokes, gets more into how they go about it than brand massaging, pretty funny too.
Yes they have a big awesome boat and use good gear but they rarely mention sponsors and a lot of their fishing is nuts and bolt fishing, bait, tackle and locations.
Saw one episode where they were standing waist deep in a creek with a 4foot dinghy (to keep some gear in) and were catching big snapper in a few feet of water. It's a good watch and not about this brand or that brand.
Tight lines = Good Times!

Huntnfish

Post by Huntnfish » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:36 am

Well I personally would love to see Rex hunt back because at least he fished places that most of us fish right here in victoria

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:47 am

Lee rayner adventure bound is great.anybody see his new series?
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:36 pm

fishing mags, like many mags I suppose (same with 4wd mags especially) tend to have a cyclical rotation of articles. I used to buy several fishing mags regularly when I first got into fishing seriously as an adult, and within 9-12 months I reckon I had read basically the same articles at least twice across a few different mags - 'bream on soft plastics', 'schoolies from the Hawkesbury', 'flathead on fly' hahaha.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:12 pm

i currently read two fishing mags one is a local mag which i enjoy reading and the other is a fly fishing magazine which has a mixture of articles all of which are about new zealand or australian locations. haven't encountered the recycled topics but these are magazines that aren't extraordinarily commercial so to speak
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”