Rowans scientific adventure

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
rowan588

Re: Rowans scientific adventure

Post by rowan588 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:21 pm

ive heard, wondering if a mud sucker would take it, not keen to mix tests though as it could be the soap bring them in not the maple syrup or the like

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Don't know if this is what you mean exactly, but next time you catch some mud suckers try soaking fillets in milk to eat, and had a mate tell me there is a way to make them taste delicious. He said when we catch carp it releases something in the bloodstream when stressed,which ruins the flesh, so he kept it alive for a day in aerated tank and killed it instantly some how, in the end it tasted great. I tell you what ever he did it tasted great.
Here fishy fishy.......

rowan588

Post by rowan588 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:06 pm

aussie_fisho wrote:Don't know if this is what you mean exactly, but next time you catch some mud suckers try soaking fillets in milk to eat, and had a mate tell me there is a way to make them taste delicious. He said when we catch carp it releases something in the bloodstream when stressed,which ruins the flesh, so he kept it alive for a day in aerated tank and killed it instantly some how, in the end it tasted great. I tell you what ever he did it tasted great.
probably a captive bolt to the brains, and the only issue with that is transporting live carp, which is illegal

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:30 pm

soap for bait is an interesting idea. we use to use it for catfish bait back in the usa. as for eating the carp i would only think that maybe it would taste better after keeping it alive for a few days only because of keeping it in clean fresh water. would probably flush the mud out of their system. in the usa we had a different kind of mullet to what you have here. they are a mud sucker fish. if you catch them out of a good clean water source with clear clean water they tasted okay. but if you caught them in muddy water the meat had a muddy gritty texture to it. good luck on the experiment

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Soap does work for bait , but it has to be the non scented animal fat soap. People with skin allergies usually use this soap.
Reason why even bacon, chops and sausages have been known to catch fish , it's the animal fat in the meat.
You can also use lard fat , you can save the 'dripping' after cooking meat , or buy it in a block in the supermarket ,near the butter , looks like a block of white butter also. It's just animal fat / lard , moulds great onto a hook and works great.

Been meaning to maybe mention this for a while , but now you mentioned the soap , I though I would mention it.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 pm

rixter wrote:Soap does work for bait , but it has to be the non scented animal fat soap. People with skin allergies usually use this soap.
Reason why even bacon, chops and sausages have been known to catch fish , it's the animal fat in the meat.
You can also use lard fat , you can save the 'dripping' after cooking meat , or buy it in a block in the supermarket ,near the butter , looks like a block of white butter also. It's just animal fat / lard , moulds great onto a hook and works great.

Been meaning to maybe mention this for a while , but now you mentioned the soap , I though I would mention it.

Cheers , Rick.
makes sense I've had mates catch mullet on bacon.

reminds me of another theory to test out, to land a snapper on kfc.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 pm

I can see why you would have butchered a few carp to pop their swim bladder they are not exactly being pulled from the deep not a lot of science being carried out here just some animal cruelty even if they are noxious fish they still should be treated with respect they are fish.
If you want to know how to deflate swim bladders google it. I have no problem experimenting with different baits I do that myself but please treat fish with respect

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:39 pm

Nude up wrote:I can see why you would have butchered a few carp to pop their swim bladder they are not exactly being pulled from the deep not a lot of science being carried out here just some animal cruelty even if they are noxious fish they still should be treated with respect they are fish.
If you want to know how to deflate swim bladders google it. I have no problem experimenting with different baits I do that myself but please treat fish with respect
Chances are the carp were already dead when he did it. This came up in discussion in another thread yesterday (greggo's post onwards).
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7815&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He was following procedures that a DEPI person had informed one of our members to follow regarding disposal of carp. Kill them first then puncture their swim bladder if you are going to return them to the water. The punctured swim bladder ensures they sink. Rowan had actually googled the subject but found nothing helpful. Problem was a couple suggestions of puncturing the air bladder were just let us say, very different. From what you could see here I understand your concern.

cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

rowan588

Post by rowan588 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
Nude up wrote:I can see why you would have butchered a few carp to pop their swim bladder they are not exactly being pulled from the deep not a lot of science being carried out here just some animal cruelty even if they are noxious fish they still should be treated with respect they are fish.
Chances are the carp were already dead when he did it. This came up in discussion in another thread yesterday (greggo's post onwards).
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7815&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He was following procedures that a DEPI person had informed one of our members to follow regarding disposal of carp. Kill them first then puncture their swim bladder if you are going to return them to the water. The punctured swim bladder ensures they sink. Rowan had actually googled the subject but found nothing helpful. Problem was a couple suggestions of puncturing the air bladder were just let us say, very different. From what you could see here I understand your concern.

cheers
Jim

completly right, all 7 fish had been dead for an hour or so, sorry for the confusion.

not big on animal cruelty, have seen plenty of people commiting it, had plenty of fights resulting from it

cheers,
Rowan

Return to “Fishing techniques”