My Whoosh! Splash! moment

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
kaotay

My Whoosh! Splash! moment

Post by kaotay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 pm

That's the worst sound for a fisho. This morning it was perfect conditions, got to my spot on the rocks nice and early. As the sun started to creep up, burley in the water, this was the sound of my telescopic sienna combo flying into the sea, my left hand reaching out but grasping nothing but air as I saw my rod for the last time, bouncing once off the rocks below me and into the water.
The next few minutes were mayhem, casting out in the general direction hoping to hook the rod or its line, but alas, whatever it was had towed my favorite tele combo out to sea.
I felt defeated. Not only did a decent fish get away, but I lost my gear. In the chaos that followed I managed to tangle my 2 other lines and lost a rig in a snag. Also the hot bite period had passed, and I had no lines in the water. Aaaaaargh!
Anyway I composed myself, breathe in, breathe out. Re-rig. Cut tangled braid. Fish on. Ended up with 5 pinkies and 4 kgw, kept 1 kgw 36cm, the rest returned to swim again.
I've had a chuckle in the past at others, but it's now my turn. It wasn't dear, but this is the rod and reel that got me started fishing again just over a year ago. :'(

Have you had a whoosh splash moment? What did you lose and what did you do to prevent it happening again?

Fishn104

Re: My Whoosh! Splash! moment

Post by Fishn104 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Oh no!! Hope your recovering ok lol! It has happened to me a couple of times a long time ago. First was about 13 years ago at altona pier. Had my Jarvis walker 12ft combo with pillies for bait. Chatting away with guys fishing there and heard that same noise.... Whoosh...splash!!!
Everyone was shouting.. Your rod your rod!! Just watched it glide past me and then a manta ray leaped about 30mtrs in front of us. Was going to jump in for it but by the time I took my wallet, glasses, shoes off it would of been long gone..( I forgot bout the drag) lol lucky it was a cheapy!
Second time off Cunningham jetty going for some trevally. I had the drag set but I had just moved the rod forward so an old fella could get past. The rod just buckled over and into the drink!!!
Quickly tied a lure on the other rod and started casting into the direction my rod went. A few cast later, hooked my line and got the rod back and the fish!! Nice trevally it was. That was about 12 years ago!!
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Lost a rod to what i think was jewie but the rod floated to the surface 20m out as the fish bit through the leader, managed to snag it with a sinker
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:49 pm

I had a very expensive plastics outfit I used to use while the baits were soaking one day a bait rod took off I just lent the sp rod against the gunnel with the sp dangling in the water you guessed it whak gone never to be seen again. Needlessto say I dont do that anymore.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:24 pm

I once had a hard running eagle scream off and as I pulled the rod out of the holder the whole unit came up, bye bye stainless rod holder lol.

A few months ago I lost my reel handle whilst spinning for trout. Not fun when you're 3km downstream from the car.

I once saved a ladies handbag at flinders which got blown in. Squid jig to the rescue. Got it about 30m out. Haha. She was pretty grateful.

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:52 pm

I've Lost many rods/reels over the past due to too tight a drag.
Been a long time since though , learned my lesson too many times ! .
Now days I keep the drag set right and keep the rod/reel tied down with an elastic jockey strap.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks for sharing, guys. One day on and it still hurts! (It keeps replaying in slow motion) Am going to make some rod leashes as I have a light daiwa seajigger rod I don't want to lose. Thinking of using some carabiner clips and thin rope. Hopefully I can find clips that stand up to the salt.
I normally set my drag loose but not yesterday as I was using circle hooks, had them on strike drag, which was enough for the light rod to go airborne once it was dislodged from the rocks .
I once arrived at a spot and found a guy fishing in his underwear. He'd jumped in after his rod, but it was too late. Thankfully there were no women or young children around, it wasn't a pretty sight as he dried his clothes on the rocks.
Last edited by kaotay on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:19 am

kaotay wrote:Thanks for sharing, guys. One day on and it still hurts! Am going to make some rod leashes as I have a light daiwa seajigger rod I don't want to lose. Thinking of using some carabiner clips and thin rope. Hopefully I can find clips that stand up to the salt.
I normally set my drag loose but not yesterday as I was using circle hooks, had them on strike drag, which was enough for the light rod to go airborne once it was dislodged from the rocks .
I once arrived at a spot and found a guy fishing in his underwear. He'd jumped in after his rod, but it was too late. Thankfully there were no women or young children around, it wasn't a pretty sight as he dried his clothes on the rocks.
Lol, must be a lot of big fish where your fishing lol!!!
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 am

Fishn104 wrote:
kaotay wrote:Thanks for sharing, guys. One day on and it still hurts! Am going to make some rod leashes as I have a light daiwa seajigger rod I don't want to lose. Thinking of using some carabiner clips and thin rope. Hopefully I can find clips that stand up to the salt.
Lol, must be a lot of big fish where your fishing lol!!!
Yeah but that guy copped it big time from the other fishos....not only the noob shame of losing a rod, they said he was hiding something undersized in his jocks!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:32 am

kaotay, I use stretch lanyards when out looking for cod/carp, they stretch to 3m and are about $5 each on ebay. If your interested look in the fishing section, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Fishing techniques”