Hike in overnight remote fishing

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Fisho11
Has liked: 2 times

Hike in overnight remote fishing

Post by Fisho11 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:46 am

Gday all,
Ive been heading up the Vic high country a bit in the past year and have been absolutely loving it.
For trout opening I fished what seemed like an untouched creek and found it to be amazing from the scenery to the fishing.
Im wanting to do more of this in the future on a larger scale, hiking in to some hard to get to areas of Rivers with overnight gear.
I haven't done anything like this and was wondering if anyone had some pointers about getting started.
Looking at purchasing a GPS as well as a detailed topographical map to get started.

Russell Harris
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Hike in overnight remote fishing

Post by Russell Harris » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:24 am

Good Luck with your adventures. Not sure where you want to start but suggest you have a look at Google Earth. Also add to your equipment:- EPERB / EPIRB?? as well as Saterlite phone - Make a phone call every 3 or 4 hours so that your position can be available in case of any Emergency.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:08 pm

Russell Harris wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:24 am
Good Luck with your adventures. Not sure where you want to start but suggest you have a look at Google Earth. Also add to your equipment:- EPERB / EPIRB?? as well as Saterlite phone - Make a phone call every 3 or 4 hours so that your position can be available in case of any Emergency.
Thanks mate, Ive spent a fair bit of time on earth and found a few potential locations. I'll check out the EpIRB and Sat Phones.

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:11 pm

personally i'd leave the sat phone and epirb and get a garmin inreach mini 2.
gps, download the avenza app on your phone and search for getlost maps for the area your going to and download that, put your phone on airplane mode and the battery should last for days. might be worth putting ur phone in a ziplock bag too if you think theres a chance it could end up in the drink.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:48 pm

Make sure you let people know where you're going and when you'll be back. In case things don't go according to plan. Proper clothing too.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:22 pm

ben475 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:11 pm
personally i'd leave the sat phone and epirb and get a garmin inreach mini 2.
gps, download the avenza app on your phone and search for getlost maps for the area your going to and download that, put your phone on airplane mode and the battery should last for days. might be worth putting ur phone in a ziplock bag too if you think theres a chance it could end up in the drink.
Will definitely look into this, looks extremely versatile at first glance! The multipurpose use it had looks awesome!

brother_stern
Has liked: 10 times

Post by brother_stern » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:01 pm

Fishing where few people if ever fish is a fantastic experience and likely to produce better than average results. I myself prefer river rafting to somewhere, where no-one fishes and fishing can be amazing. But a lot of truly remote place can only be reached by hiking, I still got lakes Barracouta and Wau Wauka on my list, as well as Aire River and a couple of remote East Gippsland rivers.

Return to “Fishing techniques”