snapper/pinkies from piers

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

snapper/pinkies from piers

Post by dazz999 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:30 pm

im crap at this how far apart do you space your hooks how long are your leaders from the hook how long is the leader to the sinker i use 2 3way swizels in my setup ?nogood jinka leader from swivel to hooks 40lb fishing port phillip bay

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Re: snapper/pinkies from piers

Post by Kenle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Bro it sounds like you need to watch some youtube tutorials. My fav rig has always been a double dropper where the only swivel is on the sinker since it always spins around. 3/0 circle or octopus hooks works fine for pinkies n other favourite bycatch, goodluck mate

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:02 pm

For bigger snapper I use 30 lb.
Was caught standard paternosta,brighton squid
FB_IMG_1464428404156.jpg
FB_IMG_1464428404156.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
For smaller pinkies everybodys been getting,30 to to37 cm, id go lighter,10-,15lb.
Running sinker also works.

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:04 am

Kenle wrote:Bro it sounds like you need to watch some youtube tutorials. My fav rig has always been a double dropper where the only swivel is on the sinker since it always spins around. 3/0 circle or octopus hooks works fine for pinkies n other favourite bycatch, goodluck mate
thanks mate just wanted too know how the locals rig up

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:08 am

bowl wrote:For bigger snapper I use 30 lb.
Was caught standard paternosta,brighton squid
FB_IMG_1464428404156.jpg
For smaller pinkies everybodys been getting,30 to to37 cm, id go lighter,10-,15lb.
Running sinker also works.
thanks mate nice fish when was that caught squid strip or head

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:02 am

dazz999 wrote:im crap at this how far apart do you space your hooks how long are your leaders from the hook how long is the leader to the sinker i use 2 3way swizels in my setup ?nogood jinka leader from swivel to hooks 40lb fishing port phillip bay
Mate for mane line I use 30lb and 40lb or 20lb for smaller snapper, it's always good to test out first. Also rig wise I use standard patenosta rig with usually two droppers and 15 to 20 cm apart from each. With size 2/0 circle hooks good luck :thumbsup:

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 pm

My preference is a Running Sinker - nearly all the time. Ezyclip Sinker (size based on conditions) to a Swivel & 60/80cm fluorocarbon leader to a 3/0-6/0 Gamakatsu or Owner Hook. I generally use 30lb Mainline to 40lb-60lb leader when chasing Big Reds. Some will consider that quite heavy but landbased theres alot of obstacles between you and the fish and i've found that sometimes you need all the strength of that line. I've lost count of how many fish I've had to rip out of reefs or lock drag so they don't run under the pier, etc etc.. Not to mention, when you use big baits, by-catch can be devastating to terminal tackle. For pinkies you can go a lot lighter..

Speak to other fisho's on the piers your fishing, most will be glad to help. & Google/Youtube 'how to make a running sinker or paternoster', grab some cheap line and follow the steps. You'll have it down pat in no time..
Az.

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Bar002811 wrote:
dazz999 wrote:im crap at this how far apart do you space your hooks how long are your leaders from the hook how long is the leader to the sinker i use 2 3way swizels in my setup ?nogood jinka leader from swivel to hooks 40lb fishing port phillip bay
Mate for mane line I use 30lb and 40lb or 20lb for smaller snapper, it's always good to test out first. Also rig wise I use standard patenosta rig with usually two droppers and 15 to 20 cm apart from each. With size 2/0 circle hooks good luck :thumbsup:
thanks buddy yeah i have my droppers to far apart

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:08 pm

azkay wrote:My preference is a Running Sinker - nearly all the time. Ezyclip Sinker (size based on conditions) to a Swivel & 60/80cm fluorocarbon leader to a 3/0-6/0 Gamakatsu or Owner Hook. I generally use 30lb Mainline to 40lb-60lb leader when chasing Big Reds. Some will consider that quite heavy but landbased theres alot of obstacles between you and the fish and i've found that sometimes you need all the strength of that line. I've lost count of how many fish I've had to rip out of reefs or lock drag so they don't run under the pier, etc etc.. Not to mention, when you use big baits, by-catch can be devastating to terminal tackle. For pinkies you can go a lot lighter..

Speak to other fisho's on the piers your fishing, most will be glad to help. & Google/Youtube 'how to make a running sinker or paternoster', grab some cheap line and follow the steps. You'll have it down pat in no time..
thanks for the reply will try a running sinker setup i have some of them ducks nuts sliding rigs to try with the paternoster rig i had my droppers way to far apart

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Ducks nuts are great but the only problem I've found with them is that the sinker dropper and hook trace tend to wrap themselves around each other before you cast. Ezy rigs don't slide as well but the little bit that sticks out (take the clip off and tie direct) helps to keep them apart

Return to “Fishing techniques”