Rod / Reel / Line Storage

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: Rod / Reel / Line Storage

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks guys.

In the past I have just given the rods and wheels a light mist spray and put them back in storage. Based on the above I will look at releasing the drag and checking over rigs with a bit more care.

Will also be looking into how to service the reels myself as I am starting to collect enough of them!

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:31 am

being on the yak they get more salt than normal, due to accidental dunking, and having constantly wet hands. So they get a quick dunk in rain water bucket(tightened drags), drained, air dried the all joints squirted with inox. drag off quick spin, then drag reset.

Generally rigs removed and retied each session just to ensure I dont leave knots too long so they fail. Sometimes simple running sinkers left on out of laziness.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:50 am

ducky wrote:
Mattblack wrote:I cut everything off, wash the rods and submerge the reels in the sink for a few hours....hope I'm not buggering them up
Seriously?

Note to self. Never buy mattblacks reels. Haha
Bloody hell...might have to re-think the sink soak! Mind you, I'm still using 3 reels that are over 25 years old and going strong (could just be a testament to how good Shimano reels are!). My definition of a service is I greasing the gears once a year.

brybry

Post by brybry » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:49 am

I'm with fish-cador. To lazy to clean up after every trip.

At that price I've paid for some of my gear, I expect it to be relatively maintenance free and tough enough to deal with little bit of salt or dirt. I expect that my gear will last 4-5 years before being superceded.

Might occasionally clean everything and service the reels if I'm heading off on a big trip.

Usually leave rigs on but will re-tie them before each session.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:01 am

I wash down all my gear after each use, its not that difficult to give it a squirt and get the salt off it. Occasionally I'll spray some inox over the rods & reels to give them an extra bit of life.
quid est quod eum

Rustie

Post by Rustie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:27 pm

I hose my reels and rods and use my pet dryer to blow them out dry... and add 1 or 2 drop oil on the main shaft of the reel.

as for the line n hooks, i put them on a rig storage.. something like that. wash it when i reach home and dry it with my pet dryer.

pet dryer. Image

normally i will check the hooks if they are still sharp, if not i will use a stone to sharpen them again.Image

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm pretty fussy with my gear and always give it a wash down after every session ,I'll give it a spray of Inox if its coped a real hard time.
Then dry it off store the rods away ,put the reels back in their boxes all ready for the next session.
All part of the enjoyment of fishing i reckon

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:36 pm

I wash rods and reels in fresh water and wipe the rods and reels down with liquid wrench new rigs for me and retie the snap swivel the night before except if I am on a trip then they just get washed in fresh water.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Graeme wrote:I'm pretty fussy with my gear and always give it a wash down after every session ,I'll give it a spray of Inox if its coped a real hard time.
Then dry it off store the rods away ,put the reels back in their boxes all ready for the next session.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:52 am

Graeme wrote:I'm pretty fussy with my gear and always give it a wash down after every session ,I'll give it a spray of Inox if its coped a real hard time.

Schmick setup mate!

Return to “Fishing techniques”