bait techniques..?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
chris srsc

bait techniques..?

Post by chris srsc » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:55 am

So reading a few post on bait advise thought id open a new one to get it out there..

Full pilly..do you have your leader mouth or tail end?
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: bait techniques..?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:09 am

chris seafarer wrote:So reading a few post on bait advise thought id open a new one to get it out there..

The pattern seems to be for PPB the pilly is tail wrapped, and in WPB the opposite

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:19 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
chris seafarer wrote:So reading a few post on bait advise thought id open a new one to get it out there..

The pattern seems to be for PPB the pilly is tail wrapped, and in WPB the opposite
Ive always cut the tail end off when hook is at head end..but never knew the two bays thing...try different ways all the time...jack of all trades master of none
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:25 am

In WP. Whole pilly. Hook through head end and then a half hitch around the pilly and right up close to the eye of the hook. Then another half hitch in the opposite direction up close around the base of the tail fin. Usually then I'll give a few wraps of bait mate around the tail fin and the line to ensure a very smooth transition. Even then sometimes the bastard spins in a strong current! If so, I'll cut off the fins and sometimes the gill plates to stop it.

My decky prefers the tail half of the pilchard only with no half hitches but bait mate around the tail fin and line.

We both catch fish.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 am

I take the tail off, i slice up the body and take the backbone out and then pin them through the head. It stops them spinning in the tide and lets the smell out.
Cast, catch and put it back

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:29 am

dezza68 wrote:I take the tail off, i slice up the body and take the backbone out and then pin them through the head. It stops them spinning in the tide and lets the smell out.
Flapper bait.?
(As per mackeral flappers in the uk).

Barnsieboy

Post by Barnsieboy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:17 pm

I cut the tail too. I always put the hook in the head end it seems to hold much better and i have found it keeps the smaller "peckers" from being hooked. I am also a fan of turning the pilly inside out and give it a good wrap with the black magic bait cotton (the non strechty stuff) but dont really do that unless the fishing is slow. Interesting about the different bays and opposite ends.

Definitely following :-)

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:34 pm

Tail end in ppb. Only use slices of the fillets of a pilly in wpb to catch fresh bait And some munched up in a burley pot. Very rarely use them as bait for bigger fish unless I think there's a few couta around that can be converted into a gummy/snapper

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:23 pm

CarlG wrote:
dezza68 wrote:I take the tail off, i slice up the body and take the backbone out and then pin them through the head. It stops them spinning in the tide and lets the smell out.
Flapper bait.?
Exactly, works well in Westernport. Used it last year under a float for sharks with smallish salmon. Got plenty of hook ups but the landing, landing part not so succesful.
Cast, catch and put it back

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:19 pm

CarlG wrote:
Flapper bait.?
Flapper? Interesting CarlG! Haven't heard it called by that name before. Have tried this method many times over the years and refer to it as a "butterflied" bait. Something I learnt from some of Geoff Wilson's old stuff when I took on the mulloway challenge some years ago. I've used this method with other whole fish as opposed to pillies in the past, as I reckon pillies are too soft, but there ya go!

Return to “Fishing techniques”