How did you learn to use a bait cast reel?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: How did you learn to use a bait cast reel?

Post by skronkman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Like the above posts. Practice, practice, practice. I can cast very accurately up to about 15 meters with an overhead but as soon as I put power into It I make a birds nest every few casts. Very frustrating. They do have the mag brakes now but You have to set them up right and I never really figured that out either. My recommendation is to start with shorter casts and go for accuracy then build up distance. Read the manual for your reel, maybe watch a few you tubes to see what you can learn.

Keepitreel

Post by Keepitreel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:27 am

Thanks for the responses everyone

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:15 am

Are you boat fishing or land based?

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 am

I used one for a few years and got quite proficient, but no matter how much you practise and how good you get, there will always be that one time when conditions/equipment wear/lack of concentration work against you and it could cost the fish of a lifetime.

Get a good spinning reel - they're foolproof and can (arguably) do anything a baitcaster can, with no risk of a birds nest.

Good luck!

Mike.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:52 pm

My very first baitcaster was a Jarvis walker mag max and while it was definetly an entry model reel at the time, it served me well before being pulled into the murray by a fish! It had 'cast control' which slowed the spool down like the new fan dangled 'mag brakes' but once you learn to 'educate your thumb'(more on this later) you will find you use this function less and less.

Like anyone starting out with a baitcaster, birdsnest's are something you'l have to learn to deal with but you should find that your casting ability and skill at unravelling birdsnests will rapidly improve with the more practice you get! When I got my mag max it was on a trigger grip rod and i was told that I should buy coloured casting weights and rig my rod up with one of these and practice freespooling the weight down to the floor while keeping the rod flat/slightly elevated to the ground. This will 'educate your thumb' and quicken your thumb-eye co-ordination learning curve if you repeat it often enough in a short period. You can do this on your couch while watching telly or playing online poker as it doesn't require super high levels of energy or concentration. IMO the fluoro casting weights are a bit of a con and a small bomb sinker is a cheap alternative if you have them lying around.

Strongly advise to spool with MONO ONLY until you become proficient(maybe 3 months maybe 3+yrs) with casting cos braid birdsnest's are a ***** and can become costly depending on frequency of said birdsnest's and quality of braid.

Best of luck with your journey with baitcasters. While their uses are pretty limited in vic(cod/yellas and possibly H/wood barra) their a joy to use(once you get the hang) and much like riding a bike, once you learn to use one you wont forget!! (I ride a bike and I still fall off every once and awhile :S )

cheers shaz

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:45 am

Keepitreel wrote:Hey gents,

Recently purchased a new bait cast outfit for the Murray to target cod.

Never used a bait cast reel before - any tips?

Ta,
I have 3 now and love them for flicking lures at murray cod.
Like all have said practice practice practice. I decided that I would practice on the water which may have not been the best idea but thought I may as well have a chance of catching a fish while I practiced.
Having the reel setup to allow the lure to slowly free spool helped my learning process. I would forget when changing lures and that is when I would get the bird nests. After a while and many many many casts I can cast with no friction at all.

I was totally self taught and picked up some bad habits without knowing it. Fishing with a friend who has used baitcasters for years and bugging the heck out of him helped as well. This year I went to a Boat and More night in shepparton and the guy who was talking spoke about wrist position and that helped heaps too.
I use a right handed reel and when I use to cast I would have the spool facing up with my thumb on top. The change that has improved my casting no end was to rotate my wrist so the handles of the reel are facing up. That was a game changer for me and improved my accuracy and no more bird nests (well i do get them if I am not thinking about what I am doing)
Have fun
once you have caught cod flicking lures with a baitcaster I dont think you with go back to another reel

Return to “Fishing techniques”