MTF on knots, drag and pressure

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
chris srsc

Re: MTF on knots, drag and pressure

Post by chris srsc » Wed May 25, 2016 5:33 pm

All this talk about leader...some times on the boat, my hook goes straight to the braid...its just a lazy cbf thing..
Have always struggled with mono to braid
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Wed May 25, 2016 6:02 pm

I have the same problems - I've tried the FG knot quite a fer times, but 50% of the time it just seems to unravel.

I'm sure I'm randomly doing something fundamentally wrong, but can't figure out what...

Mike.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed May 25, 2016 6:08 pm

mingle wrote:I have the same problems - I've tried the FG knot quite a fer times, but 50% of the time it just seems to unravel.

I'm sure I'm randomly doing something fundamentally wrong, but can't figure out what...

Mike.
I had similar issues it just comes down to keeping tension and even line lay while figure 8'ing the knot
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 pm

I've posted this before. It's pretty shitty quality but it shows the difficult part of the knot.

Place rod between legs. Braid in teeth and wind the reel to get tension on it. Work the line as shown in the video under and over for about 4 wraps and pull tight on it to set the finger trap. Keep doing it for a total of 12-16 pulling it tight every 4 or so. Then do a half hitch to lock it off. Here's the important bit, Wrap the braid and the leader and really pull nice and tight to lock the knot. It will pull through a little bit of leader if needed. (on 80lb I use the towbar to lock it tight) if you trim the leader tag end prior to really setting it tight the leader will pull through the knot on a tight drag setting or when pulling through a snag. Then just finish off with 3 more opposing half hitches. Trim the leader tag end. Another 4 opposing half hitches and trim. I knocked this video up one night really quickly. At some point I'll do a better one explaining it.

No more losing feeling in your fingers haha. Video is recorded in real time so as you can see it's not hard to tie an fg knot in a hurry. It's all I use these days.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vujH_zxYR6g

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed May 25, 2016 8:47 pm

ducky wrote:I've posted this before. It's pretty shitty quality but it shows the difficult part of the knot.

Place rod between legs. Braid in teeth and wind the reel to get tension on it. Work the line as shown in the video under and over for about 4 wraps and pull tight on it to set the finger trap. Keep doing it for a total of 12-16 pulling it tight every 4 or so. Then do a half hitch to lock it off. Here's the important bit, Wrap the braid and the leader and really pull nice and tight to lock the knot. It will pull through a little bit of leader if needed. (on 80lb I use the towbar to lock it tight) if you trim the leader tag end prior to really setting it tight the leader will pull through the knot on a tight drag setting or when pulling through a snag. Then just finish off with 3 more opposing half hitches. Trim the leader tag end. Another 4 opposing half hitches and trim. I knocked this video up one night really quickly. At some point I'll do a better one explaining it.

No more losing feeling in your fingers haha. Video is recorded in real time so as you can see it's not hard to tie an fg knot in a hurry. It's all I use these days.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vujH_zxYR6g
God damn ducky! In under two minutes! Like a bloody boss!! I can see you've done it quite a few times!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 25, 2016 9:33 pm

mingle wrote:I have the same problems - I've tried the FG knot quite a fer times, but 50% of the time it just seems to unravel.

Mike.
Practice on wire and rope. Aka 50lb leader and 50lb braid. That way you can see the knots and loops better and see what your doing wrong.

There are many ways to tie the fg. Pick the one you feel comfortable doing

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed May 25, 2016 10:28 pm

purple5ive wrote:

Mike.
Practice on wire and rope. Aka 50lb leader and 50lb braid. That way you can see the knots and loops better and see what your doing wrong.

There are many ways to tie the fg. Pick the one you feel comfortable doing
Personally I find about 20lb-20lb to be the easiest to tie, still quite thick but not ridiculously hard to tighten and tie under tension
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 pm

l reckon it will take me years to learn how to tie that knot in the video,something to aim for though l guess.
Generally l just use the double uni on everything that l need to do right down to 6lb fluoro to braid and l have tried to break it when in some serious snags and not very often has it broke at the knot.
The fg knot must be a good one though, otherwise nobody would learn how to do it but l think if you do any knot properly in most cases it will probably be alright
:cheers:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 27, 2016 6:34 am

The FG knot is actually really simple. There are a lot of wraps but you are essentially doing the same thing over and over so there isn't much to remember.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri May 27, 2016 8:31 am

Easy in theory but hard in practice.

Terminal knots are generally the weak link so once you have a good slim knot you can tie quickly and consistently it doesn't matter that much.

FG IMO is over rated. Perfectly suited to the gear used for casting poppers at GTs just not the smaller stuff.

Return to “Fishing techniques”