snatcher hooks

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: snatcher hooks

Post by Nude up » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:34 pm

I make my own both in 4/0 and 2/0 but I am getting lazy I buy premade twisted dropper loop paternoster rigs. I would always have one out when drifting and find flathead love them especially blue and white

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:06 pm

I agree that they outfish regular hooks on paternoster rigs for flatties. Although they seem to attract a lot of smaller fish. If you want big flatties then use big hooks and big baits, be a little patient and they will hook themselves. couta and pike will also be attracted to flasher rigs. I always fished them with bait on the hooks, same for sabikis although I'm not sure it's necessary but reckon it catches more.

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:42 pm

i use to make them as well like nude up did, i haven't used them in years tho, but when I did use it I got 4 gummys in 1 session useing the red feathered ones.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:10 pm

skronkman wrote:I agree that they outfish regular hooks on paternoster rigs for flatties. Although they seem to attract a lot of smaller fish. If you want big flatties then use big hooks and big baits, be a little patient and they will hook themselves. couta and pike will also be attracted to flasher rigs. I always fished them with bait on the hooks, same for sabikis although I'm not sure it's necessary but reckon it catches more.
Yeah same I always put a pillie or sand whiting tail on them seems to work quite well, I wonder how the whiting snatchers go I've never used those.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Marty.A wrote:
skronkman wrote:I agree that they outfish regular hooks on paternoster rigs for flatties. Although they seem to attract a lot of smaller fish. If you want big flatties then use big hooks and big baits, be a little patient and they will hook themselves. couta and pike will also be attracted to flasher rigs. I always fished them with bait on the hooks, same for sabikis although I'm not sure it's necessary but reckon it catches more.
Yeah same I always put a pillie or sand whiting tail on them seems to work quite well, I wonder how the whiting snatchers go I've never used those.
Whiting snatchers are great also. I remember smashing the pinkies with it one time lol

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:38 pm

don't trust the pre-packaged ones on bigger fish. Dad lost 2 decent snapper last season on em before I banned them from the boat :fishing:

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:58 pm

scott__henning wrote:don't trust the pre-packaged ones on bigger fish. Dad lost 2 decent snapper last season on em before I banned them from the boat :fishing:
Yep had quite a lot of hooks break on the premade ones on the charter boat.
We mix it up on the charter boat. Some snatchers , some circle hooks and some J hooks. To be honest it is more about the person on the rod. A lot of charters there is one or two people that catch most of the fish. Couple of time we have had a bunch of people that are regular fishers and these have turned out to be the super days.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:04 pm

re-tyred wrote:
scott__henning wrote:don't trust the pre-packaged ones on bigger fish. Dad lost 2 decent snapper last season on em before I banned them from the boat :fishing:
We mix it up on the charter boat. Some snatchers , some circle hooks and some J hooks. To be honest it is more about the person on the rod. A lot of charters there is one or two people that catch most of the fish. Couple of time we have had a bunch of people that are regular fishers and these have turned out to be the super days.
What are they doing different to the regular chumps? Just simple stuff like checking baits, watching for bites and striking at the right time?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:24 pm

4liters wrote:
re-tyred wrote:
What are they doing different to the regular chumps? Just simple stuff like checking baits, watching for bites and striking at the right time?
Basically understanding that you have to treat a circle hook different to a J hook. Snatchers usually have circle hooks on the premade ones. Strike a circle hook hard on the first nibble and you pull it out of the fish's mouth. You have to let the fish take a circle hook, even give it a bit of slack, then hit it when the fish has it well and truly in it's mouth. J hooks you can hit harder from the start.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Fishing techniques”