Left Hand or Right Hand ?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
savit

Re: Left Hand or Right Hand ?

Post by savit » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:35 pm

I cast and work the lure with right hand while wind with left hand.
2 problems that I encountered:
1) low choice of baitcasters/OH for left-hand wind in AU (opposite to EU).
2) most of local rod-holder metal spikes are designed to secure the rod with right-hand wind reel.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm right handed. I cast with my right and wind with my left. It's just how I learnt from my dad, and how he learnt from his dad. The theory goes that grandad had his first reel on backwards when he bought it and started using it (was an Alvey side cast). So it was an accident that runs in my family. This applies to egg beaters only! I have a number of overheads that I cast right handed and reel right handed. This in my opinion as another advantage (not trying to show off here) because the position of the hand on an OH for casting is different than for winding. You hold the rod for casting and the reel for winding. So again it just seems more efficient in The switch over. I will admit however that I find working the rod with my right arm is more natural, for some reason I can wind a OH with my right hand but I am totally uncoordinated trying to wind an egg beater with my right!

If you catch fish and have a good time I can't see how there is a right and wrong way to do it!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Option number 4 :thumbsup:

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:27 pm

I heard that if you close your eyes and use your other hand it's like someone else is doing it :oops:

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Cast right, wind left. Overheads, wind right, which I think isn't as effective if you're right handed. Seems to me you want your stronger arm on the rod, not the reel.
Each to their own though, whatever floats your boat.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:01 pm

fishpod wrote:I heard that if you close your eyes and use your other hand it's like someone else is doing it :oops:
sit on your arm til it goes numb ;-)
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:27 pm

CarlG wrote:Cast right, wind left. Overheads, wind right, which I think isn't as effective if you're right handed. Seems to me you want your stronger arm on the rod, not the reel.
Each to their own though, whatever floats your boat.
:thumbsup: right is more dextrous with working lures, playing fish etc. all the left has to do is go around in circles, maybe at different speeds. i wish they made more overheads in LH
4liters wrote:
fishpod wrote:I heard that if you close your eyes and use your other hand it's like someone else is doing it :oops:
sit on your arm til it goes numb ;-)
the stranger

Return to “Fishing techniques”