casting

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: casting

Post by 4liters » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Yeah, I've got to focus on keeping my hands up higher in the starting position. I'm holding the rod at shoulder height more often than not, which I guess makes me miss out on a lot of the leverage the bloke in your video is getting.

Getting back into the weights room probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. I wonder if there is a workout for surfcasting?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:15 pm

I've also noticed I'm getting some little cuts from the braid on my wrist on my right hand.

I'm using a low mounted overhead reel so this is the hand that is holding onto the top of the rod handle. Not sure if it is common but I wonder if it is a symptom of incorrect form or something.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:03 pm

4liters wrote:I've also noticed I'm getting some little cuts from the braid on my wrist on my right hand.

I'm using a low mounted overhead reel so this is the hand that is holding onto the top of the rod handle. Not sure if it is common but I wonder if it is a symptom of incorrect form or something.
It takes a lot of practise to do the low down mounted cast (so much I gave up years ago). I would suggest keeping the rod tip lower to the ground and bring it more around your body until you put in the push pull stroke at the end.
I just tend to do a layback cast these days and use a longer rod, well when santa delivers me a new one from the uk.
Dez

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:51 pm

For those people practicing their casts on reserves or footy grounds; try , pre drilling a tennis ball, run some electrical wire through it, attach a treble to the wire, push treble and wire back into the tennis ball so that the barbs go through the ball and are on the inside of the ball then squeeze some silicone into the ball for additional weight and secure a snap swivel to the other end of the wire outside of the tennis ball. Aerodynamically its not as good as 2, 4, , 6 oz of lead, but I feel a lot happier knowing should I snap the line and I hit somebody or something there will be more give in the ball than the same weight of inert lead. Currently I am practicing with a 6120 butterworth blank. abu 9000 with 30lb braid and 6metres of 60lb mono shock leader .

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:44 pm

widgeon58 wrote:For those people practicing their casts on reserves or footy grounds; try , pre drilling a tennis ball, run some electrical wire through it, attach a treble to the wire, push treble and wire back into the tennis ball so that the barbs go through the ball and are on the inside of the ball then squeeze some silicone into the ball for additional weight and secure a snap swivel to the other end of the wire outside of the tennis ball. Aerodynamically its not as good as 2, 4, , 6 oz of lead, but I feel a lot happier knowing should I snap the line and I hit somebody or something there will be more give in the ball than the same weight of inert lead. Currently I am practicing with a 6120 butterworth blank. abu 9000 with 30lb braid and 6metres of 60lb mono shock leader .
Or if you're feeling dangerous just tie a kitchen knife to the end and cast away.

Return to “Fishing techniques”