casting

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
skuxliss

Re: casting

Post by skuxliss » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:09 pm

4liters wrote:Depends on what you're targeting. Salmon, mullet and gummies can move in pretty close but if you can cast over the back of the break I've heard of people catching other species like snapper and trevally. You need a pretty hefty cast for that though and care is needed to make sure your baits don't fly off.

Just be aware that the fish like structure and often this will be closer in to the shore. No point in putting baits out 100m if the reef is 50m closer. The ability to cast long distances just opens up more areas.
Thanks 4litres. Mainly after the salmon for now just trying to understand how they operate and hit your lure. Will be moving onto gummies later on as well to give them a test. All this is at gunnaz by the way. Appreciate the info. :thumbsup:

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:12 pm

CarlG wrote:Bit of a two edged sword really. Yep, you can cast further, which is great if you're baitfishing, but your effeciency decreases, so you're putting more effort in. If you're baitfishing, a longer rod is beneficial as you might only cast a few times during a session, if you're surf spinning, you might put in 200 casts in a session, so you would generally opt for a shorter rod, in the 8'6-9'6 range.
Again, horses for courses.
Cheers Carl thanks for the info in understanding the differences :victory:

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Appreciate the info gents. Wealth of knowledge!!!

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:24 pm

If you're wanting to cast weight out 100m+ then you should probably not bother with bait on that same setup and look at using slider rigs to get bait to where you want it. These ones are sold by the ex-sponsors and are used up here in NSW for targeting the big silver fish in the surf using livebaits...

https://www.specialtyfishing.com.au/pro ... th-africa/

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:35 pm

It depends on a whole heap of things. Your build, your technique, your core and upper body strengths, your footwork (yes really) and most importantly what you're trying to cast and where.

The short answer is yes, but the long answer is something only a shirtload of experience can provide. A more important equation in my opinion, in particular when spinning is casting efficiency. That is, distance vs energy spent vs the time your lure is out of the water. I *can* cast a 100g lure a hell of a lot further on a 13 foot rod than I can cast a 40g slug on a 0 footer, BUT it takes longer to set up the swings and is damn hard work after the first 30 minutes or so.

IF you're spinning a surf beach the sweet spot is between 8'6'' and 10' depending on your stature, relative power and technique. The weight of the lure being correctly matched to the rod makes a huge difference as well. For example, the Nitro I use to ping heavy baits around is rated to cast 35-120g, but the sweet spot in it is bang on 80. Trying to cast a lure 150g on there will just result in less distance. Heavier weights don't always mean more range.

Finally, Check out some videos by JS-270 on here or look up the Australian Surf Casters.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:50 pm

As it turns out he posted one 10 seconds ago...

http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... 34&t=14008

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Mikey87

Post by Mikey87 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:53 pm

4liters wrote:Depends on what you're targeting. Salmon, mullet and gummies can move in pretty close but if you can cast over the back of the break I've heard of people catching other species like snapper and trevally. You need a pretty hefty cast for that though and care is needed to make sure your baits don't fly off.

My goal is to learn to cast a pilly or squid strip 120m+ to get into those areas (only 70m to go!) because they receive less fishing pressure (so hopefully more fish) and the beaches aren't as crowded as the places those fish come closer to shore.

Just be aware that the fish like structure and often this will be closer in to the shore. No point in putting baits out 100m if the reef is 50m closer. The ability to cast long distances just opens up more areas.

4litres - I can't find it on google but picked up a few pre-made long range caster rigs when I was in compleat angler the other day. They're called "Icon Takeshi Long Range Caster" and it works on a pulley style set up. Has seriously extended my casting range even over the few sessions i've been playing with them with the added bonus of being able to protect softer baits during flight and on splashdown. For about $10 I definitely recommend checking them out next time you're near one - might help get you closer to you're magic 120m goal mate!

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:20 pm

^ busted fishing make pulley beads and imp clips impact shields, you can build 10 of them for about $20. Add a grapnel sinker instead of a star and I haven't lost a rig in 3 ledge sessions.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Mikey87 wrote:

4litres - I can't find it on google but picked up a few pre-made long range caster rigs when I was in compleat angler the other day. They're called "Icon Takeshi Long Range Caster" and it works on a pulley style set up. Has seriously extended my casting range even over the few sessions i've been playing with them with the added bonus of being able to protect softer baits during flight and on splashdown. For about $10 I definitely recommend checking them out next time you're near one - might help get you closer to you're magic 120m goal mate!
Yeah, I picked up a couple of Black Magic ones a while back but at $13 a pop or whatever it was I just bought some imp clips and made my own. As Dougie says, I've just put in an order with Busted fishing for more imp clips and their pulley beads (which will hopefully be a bit gentler on the line than a swivel), as well as a handful of 5oz grapple sinkers. I just use 50lb fluorocarbon for the line and they work just as well as the pre made ones. Better yet I can customise them with adjustable snelled keeper hooks, circles, snelled J hooks or whatever I'm desperate enough to try next!
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Simple changes in technique can get you better distances though the mrs streamlines rigs then allow you to take advantage of those improvements.

https://youtu.be/sDtrrODwdi4

Return to “Fishing techniques”