Burley, is it worth the effort?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Burley, is it worth the effort?

Post by re-tyred » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:45 pm

This time of the year it takes a couple of hours to melt a litre of burley. Summer it is a bit quicker so I make a bigger block. Yeah I gave up putting it down on it's own rope as it always ends up with a line wrapped around it.
Whiting fishing here in the Lake is usually done in a fairly fast run out tide so burley at the surface just feeds the seagulls and terns.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:08 pm

When fishing off a pier I sometimes use a 600mL soft drink bottle. Drill a hole in the lid, put a rope through the hole and tie a knot in it so you can screw the lid on and hang it in the water by the lid. Put a bunch of small stones in the bottom to weigh it down. Cut a couple of small holes in the side of the bottle, near the top, and half fill it with tuna oil then hang it off the pier. The oil is lighter than water so when the bottle fills with water the oil will start to seep out.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Pros n Cons
I've had it bringing more fish in closer when bait fishing lb.
Cons - draws rubbish fish too, but thems the breaks.
Use some old lead and put it in the bottom of a strong plastic bottle with screw lid & drill 10mm holes in it. Drill a hole through the lid and feed your rope etc through it & tie a knot under the lid. Being plastic you can bash it about & agitate it every now & then to get the water flowing through. I use these all the time even in the surf (with a long ground spike).
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “Fishing techniques”