Born again angler...seeks advice on starter kit

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Born again angler...seeks advice on starter kit

Post by re-tyred » Mon May 11, 2015 3:51 pm

I understand people wanting quality stuff. When I was working full time and earning a very nice salary, I owned a couple of motorbikes. I always had the best for the type of biking I did. Money was not important. I just loved having good stuff. However it wasn't always like that. Earlier in life when I had a fat mortgage and 3 kids my bikes were 2nd hand cheapies. You know I went to exactly the same places and had exactly the same fun. Fishing gear is pretty much the same, having the right gear for the job is important but how much you spend on it is no so important.
These days I am semi retired and have to be careful with my money. My standard Lake fishing gear is two carbon fibre 7ft rods 2-4kg.
I used 8lb mono on them. They are rigged with a small running sinker and a clip on the end. I have pre made up hooks on about 50cm of 6lb Fcarbon line. I just clip them on. Have a number of them made up with different hooks sizes.
I have another rod same style without the sinker. I clip on various lures and jib heads to this one for when I am having a flick for salmon, taylor or flathead. I also have some heavier rods for offshore snapper fishing.
The point is the two rods in the picture cost just $35 for one and $25 for the other. The reels are crappy chinese things that cost approx. $30 each. The reels are now about 4 years old and are just about stuffed.
I am not the greatest fisherman around but I do regular catch a good feed. Those two rods have landed 45 KGW in the last 4 weeks.
The reason they are good for fishing in the Lakes is that they are very flexible, the cast well and most importantly when there is a fish on they bend and recoil quickly. This is soooo very important on smallish lively fish. Using a stiff rod means it is much more likely to drop the fish during the fight. Once you have a good flexible rod the main thing to know is where to go and what bait or lure to use. That only comes with experience and listening to others.
Attachments
IMG_20150511_152902.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon May 11, 2015 4:01 pm

I use the bronze coloured one for salmon fishing around the entrance. Landed a 55cm salmon on it one day. You should have seen it bend every time in dived. I had 8lb mono on the reel. Do that with a stiff glass rod and the salmon would be gone. Makes your learn to fight them too.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon May 11, 2015 6:56 pm

$500 would get u a decent combo or two in anyone's books, cheap reliable entry level reels are shimano sienna some prefer a Sedona but they tend to be a little more expensive. 1-3kg rod should see u having a ball in the lakes and estuaries.. This site has a lot of threads on topics about entry level rods reels and good lures I'm sure you'll find what u need..

Also buying my mrs a femme fatale so hope it's good I can't see why it wouldn't be its okuma
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

CoolChange

Post by CoolChange » Mon May 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Thank you for all your responses, really appreciate your comments.

I was cruising Gumtree today and came across someone selling some second hands rods and reels. Bought four Jarvis Walker, Sheakespeare combos in spectacular used condition for $100. Threw in two tackle boxes and one smaller rod for my youngin'.

Figure I'll use these rods for a while and learn how to rig them up properly...I like your setup @re-tyred and spend a little $ on some lures as per advice above.

matty_rotten

Post by matty_rotten » Mon May 11, 2015 9:09 pm

i would go into your local tackle shop and have a feel of all there 6-7ft graphite rods, most rods between $70-$150 are practically the same. one thing to look at that most don't is how many eyelets the rod has, I wouldn't get anything that has less than 7 for a flicking rod. everyone likes something a little different in there rods so have a play with a couple and pick one that you find most comfortable. its always good to get the guys at the shop to chuck a reel on the rod you are looking at to get a feel for it and see if the balance is right.
For reels its pretty much the same, anything from the $70-$150. personally I would pick a fin nor rampage over any shimano for the same price, 2000's go for about $70-80.
Line I would go for power pro in 8 pound and get a couple of different sizes of fc leader, black magic do great small 30-50m spools, I would get it in 6 pound, 8 pound and 12 pound.

Return to “Fishing techniques”