Moon above, below feeding times!

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Moon above, below feeding times!

Post by sloth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 am

Its where the water is concentrated or compressed against or through structure. Moving water + structure = compressed water. Compressed water + bait/forage = predators. Personally I find that this works 95% of the time.

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Phases of the moon definitely have an affect on bite rate...i just dont know how
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:20 pm

I have a notebook where in the past I have noted certain conditions including the moon phase and have seen a trend :)

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:52 pm

The moons very important taken me years to start to understand it through notes and a lot of scratching of my head thinking wtf is going on. Basically if the moon is behind you or under your feet its good to fish, if the moon is in front of you or over your head it's no good this mainly applies to landbased and shallow water fishing. I believe It's no good because your baits are not really standing out anymore they will feed everywhere and won't be that hungry Due to effectively feeding at night. Fullmoon is good for the fish not the best for the fishermen. But I do go for gummys on fullmoons that's about it, like the saying goes and I've always fished by it, (Moon by day fish by night, moon by night fish by day)

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:42 am

Lightningx wrote:I have a notebook where in the past I have noted certain conditions including the moon phase and have seen a trend :)
Can i send youy email...bwhahaha :a_goodjob: :banana:
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:51 am

Moonrise seems to be producing a heap of squid.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:59 pm

Buckle&scream wrote:The moons very important taken me years to start to understand it through notes and a lot of scratching of my head thinking wtf is going on.Basically if the moon is behind you or under your feet its good to fish, if the moon is in front of you or over your head it's no good this mainly applies to landbased and shallow water fishing. I believe It's no good because your baits are not really standing out anymore they will feed everywhere and won't be that hungry Due to effectively feeding at night. Fullmoon is good for the fish not the best for the fishermen. But I do go for gummys on fullmoons that's about it, like the saying goes and I've always fished by it, (Moon by day fish by night, moon by night fish by day)
I'm not sure I understand this comment, where we fish the channel of a night the moon is in front of us, on the other side of the channel the moon is behind us, we are still casting into the same spot and catching fish, maybe we shouldn't be. cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:15 pm

davek wrote:
Buckle&scream wrote:The moons very important taken me years to start to understand it through notes and a lot of scratching of my head thinking wtf is going on.Basically if the moon is behind you or under your feet its good to fish, if the moon is in front of you or over your head it's no good this mainly applies to landbased and shallow water fishing. I believe It's no good because your baits are not really standing out anymore they will feed everywhere and won't be that hungry Due to effectively feeding at night. Fullmoon is good for the fish not the best for the fishermen. But I do go for gummys on fullmoons that's about it, like the saying goes and I've always fished by it, (Moon by day fish by night, moon by night fish by day)
I'm not sure I understand this comment, where we fish the channel of a night the moon is in front of us, on the other side of the channel the moon is behind us, we are still casting into the same spot and catching fish, maybe we shouldn't be. cheers davo
I'm talking northern port Philip bay everywhere is different, I've been shown this by an old and experienced fishos and it works for the bay for many reasons. Deep water and dirty water doesn't get penetrated by the moon as much.
Last edited by Buckle&scream on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Oooohhhh OK. cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:22 pm

davek wrote:
What species are you referring to?? and what area you talking about??
Guessing southern end ppb or weaternport?? If so those areas are like sheep tracks most of your fish will be in channels as the tide runs out chances of fish comeing past you once you have sounded them is quite high and if the fish sees your bait it will take it.
Northern ppb is flat clear and shallow and there's not much flow so you get heaps of sealice as well, if it's overcast but full moon it's ok and if it's rough and fullmoon it's ok as well there's a lot of things that can change it. I didn't want to go in to detail as there's a lot to talk about when it comes to this fullmoon talk can still catch fish by fishing the right areas useing different rigs ect..it's never the is all end all with fishing.
Last edited by Buckle&scream on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fishing techniques”