Paternoster rigging variations

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Kestrel

Paternoster rigging variations

Post by Kestrel » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi folks

There's no doubt about the effectiveness of the paternoster rig in certain circumstances.
so, two things you may wish to comment on.

1. Has anyone simply tied on a couple of hooks onto the main line as an alternative to creating the leads out to the side? Easier to do and I'm not sure if there would be a downside.

2. a week or so ago I was talking to a guy who produced an interesting variation on the paternoster which he claims almost eliminates the problem of the dropper line tangling with the main line. Once he creates the dropper (using the dropper loop knot), he threads the dropper through a 3cm piece of very thin gauge, stiff tubing. This made the dropper stand out from the main line very significantly. He claims it doesn't put the fish off and indeed he sometimes uses red tubing as an attractor. And almost eliminates tangles.

Your thoughts
Kestrel

Remove these ads.

John Dory
Has liked: 86 times

Re: Paternoster rigging variations

Post by John Dory » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 pm

You can make twisted droppers and they stand out away from the line. Or you can make shorter loops if you’re worried about tangles. I just do overhand knots on dropper loops, works fine.

Aaron75
Has liked: 27 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm

1. Has anyone simply tied on a couple of hooks onto the main line as an alternative to creating the leads out to the side? Easier to do and I'm not sure if there would be a downside.

I do this when I'm targetting leatherjackets, when you need a lot of feel for tiny bites. I tie a hook straight onto my line with a clinch knot with a really long tag end, then tie a small sinker on the end of the tag. It's probably the easiest and simplest rig you could possibly tie.

Bugatti
Has liked: 2067 times

Post by Bugatti » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:50 am

Kestrel wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm
Hi folks

2. a week or so ago I was talking to a guy who produced an interesting variation on the paternoster which he claims almost eliminates the problem of the dropper line tangling with the main line. Once he creates the dropper (using the dropper loop knot), he threads the dropper through a 3cm piece of very thin gauge, stiff tubing. This made the dropper stand out from the main line very significantly. He claims it doesn't put the fish off and indeed he sometimes uses red tubing as an attractor. And almost eliminates tangles.

Your thoughts
Kestrel
Hi Kestrel

I've tied "slap dash" paternoster rigs by simply tying on a leader line the loop for the swivel, then two "longish" loops spaced apart from each other the distance of the two loops (this is so the two loops never meet/touch each other), then the loop for the sinker.

On the two mid "longish" loops, I thread the loop through the eye of an untied hook and then pass the hook through the loop gap twice. By passing the hook through the loop gap twice, it "locks" it on the hook nicely when pulled tight.

The beauty of this rig is, just loops and no tying of hooks separately. Hooks don't tangle with each other. Great if you get caught with no pre-tied hooks and need to put a paternoster rig together quick.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Fishing techniques”