Crater lakes

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Crater lakes

Post by Redhunter » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi folks,
Too much work and not enough fishing is a bad mix, so I decided to spend an extended w/e hitting up the crater lakes (bullen merri and purrumbete), for some "trolling therapy". Fair to say the fishing was tough! I tried quite a few tricks from flatlining to downrigging down to 90ft, using tassies, bibbed minnows, and combinations with flies and placcys, but the fish weren't really interested. I couldn't tell you how many tiddly chooks I caught, and although the newly released fish can be annoying at times, they let you know you're doing something right, along with breaking up the time.
Bullen Merri was a bust, but I didn't have any pillies or glassies with me which can make all the difference with the chooks. Not to worry...
Purrrumbete was a tricky one. Only very small bite windows at the moment. Usually you can use the downriggers and get interest all day, but not this trip. A few stand out browns that I know were caught were 7, 8, and 9lb. Good fish. I was lucky enough to bag a 5.5lb brown, which was the only keeper for the trip. I was rapt to put it in the net, but it isn't quite that 10 pounder. Maybe next time ;)
I strongly believe things will pick up very soon as that water temp climbs a few degrees. Currently sitting at 11 degrees. It won't be long!
Attachments
image.jpg

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Crater lakes

Post by April Fool » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Nice...it beats my PB by about 4cms! When you say the current water temp is 11 degrees, I assume you get a measurement from your fishfinder? If so, that would be at the surface I guess and it would be a lot colder down below where your lures run?
cheers
Jim

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Nothing wrong with that brown
Are they good eated at that size ???
Only ever caught small trout
Cheers Gra

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 pm

By "water temp" yes I'm referring to the reading of the surface temp from my sounder. The temp would definitely be colder further down the water column. I reckon though that it's not necessarily a matter of the higher temps providing more comfortable conditions for the fish, but more so a kick along with the food chain. A bit of sun/warmth at this time of year gets the bugs and insects moving, which get the minnows moving, and in turn the predators fire up for a feed as well. Just a theory...

A feed from a fish that size probably tastes better than a small panny. You can't go wrong with great fillets like these ;)
Attachments
image.jpg

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:17 pm

That's a nice fish mate,do you think they taste better because of the salt content in the lake because l caught a similar size one in Lake Wendouree last summer and to be honest it was only average eating.
Mind you l am no chef
:cheers:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 am

Nice fish!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:13 am