Another learning experience

donutcrooks

Another learning experience

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:22 am

G'day gents,
Most of you know me as the beginner fisher and its safe to say I definitely am.
I have been planning this trip since last Sunday and I can say the fish game is harder than I thought.

I woke up at 4:30 this morning and travelled to Upper Stoney Creek Reservoir once again and arrived to light winds. The wind didnt bother me too much because I was there for the fishing. I started off with a classic fly and soft plastic setup. Every cast felt like I was learning how to cast better and further. Though it didnt work I didn't give up. I tried another setup of a float and tiny hook with power bait. As you can tell the wind wouldnt let that rig last long. I then swapped to a 2hook and sinker setup with worms. I left it for 10 minutes and decided to bring it back in after the winds picked up and it nearly ended up where I parked my car. Everything seemed to have failed but I did not give up. I put a spinner on my beautiful rod and just moved up and down the shore. I felt more confident using it because there seemed to be little to no snags compared to my local lake.

After all that I ended up with no fish but more confidence in how I fish. One day I might catch a fish other than a toadie and bring home something worth wild. I've also been spending quite a bit of money on new things for fishing(which is rare because I always save every penny) and feel happy.

Thanks for reading and maybe one day I will meet one of you fellow fishermen out and about and see how real fishermen fish!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Another learning experience

Post by Scraglor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 am

Keep at it man! The winter months are the hardest. Once summer rolls around, the fishing really fires up, and all the hard yards youve put in over the colder months will pay off. Not long now!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:23 am

Good to see you gave it a good go mate!
Don't give up and I'm sure very soon you will land a decent fish :thumbsup:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 am

The more active you r n the more things n techniques u try is the way to go ,will eventually pay off...

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Keep it up mate, you'll get there.
"Real" fishermen doughnut too
Even Adrian (from Tassie) has doughnutted, but very rare.
It will cost you, but you need to cast at/around snags.

Cheers Gra

sparetimefisho

Post by sparetimefisho » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:05 pm

good stuff cant learn with out a wet line

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:26 pm

keep going the more you fish the more you learn and maybe target a fish you can catch at stoney creek then read all about them habitat, best times etc its amazing all of a sudden you start catching them then your confidence is up bang your in the zone

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the replies and feedback. I am definitely going to try wet my line more often. I love the thrill and adrenaline that pumps through my body even if it was just the hook being stuck on a rock for 1 second, it all makes me go crazy! Lucky to have picked up an amazing and thrill worthy hobby!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 pm

The more you try the better you will become, and remember fishing is a lifestyle not a hobby. I still get weak at the knees when I get on to a good fish the greatest feeling.
Great read keep it up

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Nude up wrote:The more you try the better you will become, and remember fishing is a lifestyle not a hobby. I still get weak at the knees when I get on to a good fish the greatest feeling.
Great read keep it up
Haha! I'll keep the updates up on more I do.

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”