Piers for squid in WP and PPB?

Jarvi2001

Piers for squid in WP and PPB?

Post by Jarvi2001 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:42 pm

I usually go to Flinders for big squid but the past 5-6 times I've been I've came home with donuts.
I use a float rig and size 3.0 and size 3.5 jigs but haven't had much luck lately.
What's piers are producing squid at the moment or has it just been a bad season?
Cheers lads.

bilby

Re: Piers for squid in WP and PPB?

Post by bilby » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Portsea for the win.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Mornington pier half way along usually produces consistent small squid. Perfect bait size. Bit small for eating

Jarvi2001

Post by Jarvi2001 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Cheers mate

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:48 am

I got a 38cm squid from Flinders pier on Saturday, of course once a few of the locals saw it a bunch of them came over and started casting right next to me. Seemed to me that the reason they weren't catching any probably had less to do with the spot on the pier they were fishing in and more to do with the solid inserted tip glass rods, the 15m casts and not waiting for the jig to hit the bottom but whatever. I guess that's the joy of pier fishing.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Jarvi2001

Post by Jarvi2001 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Nice job mate were you Fishing Morning, night or during the day?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:10 pm

4liters wrote:I got a 38cm squid from Flinders pier on Saturday, of course once a few of the locals saw it a bunch of them came over and started casting right next to me. Seemed to me that the reason they weren't catching any probably had less to do with the spot on the pier they were fishing in and more to do with the solid inserted tip glass rods, the 15m casts and not waiting for the jig to hit the bottom but whatever. I guess that's the joy of pier fishing.
Nothing like your personal space being invaded by the local regulars know a few piers where this is a common occurrence. Being fortunate enough to own a boat I rarely endure this.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Jarvi2001 wrote:Nice job mate were you Fishing Morning, night or during the day?
mid afternoon
rb85 wrote: Nothing like your personal space being invaded by the local regulars know a few piers where this is a common occurrence. Being fortunate enough to own a boat I rarely endure this.
Yeah, it's pretty much the reason I decided to take to the beaches, rocks and buy a kayak. Unfortunately it's a bit hard to catch squid from the beach and it was too windy for the yak so it was back to the pier. Later on I got a couple of salmon spinning with my egi gear at Point Leo, the place was deserted and it was lovely.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:48 pm

I seen a couple of asian guys cleaning up on the squid from san remo rocks 2 weeks ago.
They must of had at least 10 between them by the time i walked from foots to the last black rock. (45 mins)
I stopped for a chat but they didnt wanna interact so i left them to it. They didnt talk english.
However when they came up to where we having our bbq they were speaking fluent english on the phone and to the lady who picked them up...

Jarvi2001

Post by Jarvi2001 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:01 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:I seen a couple of asian guys cleaning up on the squid from san remo rocks 2 weeks ago.
They must of had at least 10 between them by the time i walked from foots to the last black rock. (45 mins)
I stopped for a chat but they didnt wanna interact so i left them to it. They didnt talk english.
However when they came up to where we having our bbq they were speaking fluent english on the phone and to the lady who picked them up...
Pretty rude of them but thanks for the report might give the rocks a go on a nice day :water:

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”