Piers for squid in WP and PPB?

Jarvi2001

Re: Piers for squid in WP and PPB?

Post by Jarvi2001 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:05 pm

rb85 wrote:
4liters wrote:I got a 38cm squid from Flinders pier on Saturday, of course once a few of the locals saw it a bunch of them came over and started casting right next to me. Seemed to me that the reason they weren't catching any probably had less to do with the spot on the pier they were fishing in and more to do with the solid inserted tip glass rods, the 15m casts and not waiting for the jig to hit the bottom but whatever. I guess that's the joy of pier fishing.
Nothing like your personal space being invaded by the local regulars know a few piers where this is a common occurrence. Being fortunate enough to own a boat I rarely endure this.
The pier is almost always full and you have no chance at all getting a line in at the end of the pier.
I'm no racist person but I've seen Asians keep toadfish and 7-10 cm leather jackets and I've tried to warn them about that toadfishes toxic flesh, fair to say I haven't seen them again.
Anyways I thought it was illegal to keep toadfish isn't it?

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:05 am

Jarvi2001 wrote:
rb85 wrote:
4liters wrote:I got a 38cm squid from Flinders pier on Saturday, of course once a few of the locals saw it a bunch of them came over and started casting right next to me. Seemed to me that the reason they weren't catching any probably had less to do with the spot on the pier they were fishing in and more to do with the solid inserted tip glass rods, the 15m casts and not waiting for the jig to hit the bottom but whatever. I guess that's the joy of pier fishing.
Nothing like your personal space being invaded by the local regulars know a few piers where this is a common occurrence. Being fortunate enough to own a boat I rarely endure this.
The pier is almost always full and you have no chance at all getting a line in at the end of the pier.
I'm no racist person but I've seen Asians keep toadfish and 7-10 cm leather jackets and I've tried to warn them about that toadfishes toxic flesh, fair to say I haven't seen them again.
Anyways I thought it was illegal to keep toadfish isn't it?
if i recall, i dont think its illegal but well, there not much you can do with a toadfish :)
leatherjacks also dont have a legal limit? so well, its still stupid but....
tbh asians arnt the only ones guilty of keeping undersized fishes. plenty of "white" people do the same and many just throw toadies on the pier and just let it die

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 pm

I gave Flinders pier a try today but nothing caught.

I fished the last couple of hours of the flood, conditions were light wind and dirty water. I was using a baited jig as well as trying white/red/dark jigs.

There were a number of fishers there, as usual, but the only thing I saw caught was a double hook-up of good sized salmon just past the first landing.

There were a few fresh squid marks around halfway along.

The only thing I managed to hook was my beanie from behind me which I failed to stop following through so it ended up in the water below me.

Fortunately I managed to re-hook it and recovered it.

Unkindly, the nearest fishers nearly wet themselves laughing at me. :rofl:
Cheers,
Neil

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”