Perch nirvana

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Perch nirvana

Post by Broomstick » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm

For the past year I’ve been dying to have a flick in this particular little creek in one of the more remote parts of Victoria, and on the weekend I finally did it. My mate Ash picked me up Saturday morning and after a longgg drive, we were ready to begin the 20km hike to our spot:

We thought the walk would be quite picturesque, but it was pretty much 20km of this:

Luckily there was some cute wildlife to break the monotony:

After a gruelling hike we finally came to this beautiful beach:

And after a couple more km’s, we finally arrived at our creek:

Initially we weren’t filled with confidence – it was extremely shallow and didn’t feel all that fishy, and we were wondering if we’d just hiked 20km for nothing. But as we made our way further upstream, it started looking tasty:

We were hangin to flick a lure, but first we had to set up camp. So after finding a place to pitch the tent:

We started looking for water, but after an hour of searching the best we could find was this pathetic trickle:

Luckily it was enough to fill our bottles – mmm pond water:

With the camp organized we quickly rigged up the rods and made our way to a lovely section of the creek, and first cast my double clutch was belted, only for the hooks to pull. Good signs! Second cast it was smashed again, and after a short but brutal fight my line went slack again. This probably had something to do with it (old trebles - idiot!):

Goddamit! Ash chucked a cast in the same spot and sure enough his lure was whacked too, but his hooks held true:

Big perch - how bloody good! This pool quickly went quiet so we started making our way upstream, flicking at snags along the way, and it didn’t take long before I was on the board too:

Only a little fella, but it was a start. We caught a steady stream of fish for the next hour or so:

Including lots of pesky little tailor:

But when the light started to fade and nothing more substantial hit the banks, we decided to head back to the lair of the beast. And it didn’t take long before Ash had another solid fish on the bank:

I followed this up with the two smallest fish of the trip:

But eventually I managed a couple more solid perch:

By this stage we were catching almost a fish a cast, but when the mozzies became unbearable, we decided to call it a night. It had been an amazing day, in a beautiful place:

And we had a dinner to match it (ha):

A few of these land yabbies might have improved it a bit:

The next morning we were up before the sun and after saying hello to our campmates:

We were back at our perch spot. We whacked on a couple of surface lures and first cast, they were annihilated:

Not a bad double hook up (and first cast to boot)!

The surface bite quickly shut down and we managed a couple more small perch on shallow divers:

Including this greedy guy:

Until the sun came up and shut the fish down completely. By this stage the tide was rapidly rising, pushing a heap of blue ocean water up the creek:

Check all the mullet that followed it in:

This probably pushed the perch upstream and although we would have loved to go and find them, we had a grueling 20km walk ahead of us, so we reluctantly made the call to pack up and head home. On the way we spotted a few schools of fish cruising in the breakers as we walked along the beach, and we just couldn’t help ourselves:

I’m sure we would have snagged some better fish if we had some proper beach spinning gear, but these little fellas still gave us a bit of stick on bream gear in the surf. The greater crested terns seemed to enjoy our work anyway:

We spent way too long flicking at these little fellas and it was almost dark when we finally trudged back to the car, but it meant we got to enjoy a ripper sunset on the walk home:

And that brings me to the end of a pretty epic trip - we're already planning the next. Big thanks to my man Ash for supplying a lot of the photos – he’s pretty handy with a camera (check the cracker at the end of the report).

Cheers!

Last edited by Broomstick on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Perch nirvana

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Great report and well done. I've been meaning to go there for ages, I reckon a pack raft would be perfect to explore the system a bit higher up.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Really nice report mate! Sounds like you had an awesome trip with some great fishing.
Great pics as well! :thumbsup:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Best report I have read in ages well done.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 pm

bloody good read and great fishing well done :a_goodjob:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

bilby

Post by bilby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Awesome report! It's certainly a perchy part of the world in there ... fishing small creeks for them is a lot of fun.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Fantastic :good:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks for the post, the read and congrats on an awesome trip (and nice to see the Crimson Rosellas, Rufous Fantail and Crested Terns too).

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Cheers guys
Mike_M wrote:Thanks for the post, the read and congrats on an awesome trip (and nice to see the Crimson Rosellas, Rufous Fantail and Crested Terns too).
Thanks mate, you know your birds! It's a twitcher's paradise up there

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Snapper Snatcher wrote:Great report and well done. I've been meaning to go there for ages, I reckon a pack raft would be perfect to explore the system a bit higher up.
Cheers mate. Absolutely, we could see some really fishy parts of the creek that we couldn't get to on foot.

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”