Plenty river tips

guppie12
Has liked: 1 time

Plenty river tips

Post by guppie12 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:47 am

I am looking too get some carp and reddies in the plenty never caught anything in there before, apart from a 5cm reddie :down:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Plenty river tips

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:26 am

Carome homestead and farm vigano with scrub worms n corn will see u hook into a few fish on any given day. I'd suggest jeans n boots cause I can't remember how many times I've seen snakes along those banks
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Unweighted corn on a size 4 suicide hook in any of the pools behind the carome homestead (Two Beans and a Farm) in Mernda will 100% get you onto a few carp

guppie12
Has liked: 1 time

Post by guppie12 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:15 pm

thanks guys

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Myself n fishmagnet had a ripper session one day behind farm vigano... And 4litres didn't get a touch the whole time hahaha
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

QuasarBeam

Post by QuasarBeam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:50 am

I've fished the pools behind Carome a couple of times now. First time we fished the river downstream for a while and didn't have a single bite. Tried a couple of the big pools close by and caught a half dozen Redfin and one Carp. One Redfin was caught on corn and all the rest on soft plastics (including the carp), mostly used the Squidgy wriggler but got one on a minnow. I lost two spinners and a couple of jig heads + soft plastics, need to improve my lure retrieval and move more towards snagless setups.

Went again yesterday, one small reddie was caught and I hooked another small one but it got off. That was about it for the day for fishing despite fish repeatedly breaching the surface in the large swimming hole, not sure what we were doing wrong but they weren't interested in anything we threw at them. Saw a wallaby, turtle/tortoise and a blue tongue. Unfortunately while I was retrieving a tree snagged lure I also came across a tiger snake moving through the grass, didn't see the thing until I was basically on top of it. I stuck to the more open and clear areas after that, unfortunately those seem to be few and far between.

What is the access at Vigano like relative to Carome?

One thing I must say is the amount of rubbish left around by people, or perhaps washed into the river is pretty disappointing. It is certainly far from clean. The weeds and blackberry bushes also make it pretty tough going at time.

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”