Thomson River 15/5

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Thomson River 15/5

Post by 4liters » Mon May 16, 2016 11:27 am

You've highlighted perfectly the main reasons I like sharing my pictures here, but I think though that a sharper and clearer photo would do those things you've listed a lot better than the ones I managed. I'm glad these have been appreciated nonetheless, even if I'm not very satisfied with them.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

drewb

Post by drewb » Mon May 16, 2016 12:22 pm

nice work mate, great scenery and good effort dragging the yak up there for the day.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 16, 2016 1:23 pm

nice effort mate, love that first pic.
sadly when fishing we cannot have the best equipment to take photos bar a gopro or our phones. but most times thats good enough to potray what the day was like. and share some of the scenery.
cheers

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Mon May 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Texas wrote:
4liters wrote:
Texas wrote:Great ... photos.
I wish, I'm actually a bit pissed off at how they came out.
A photographer does not have to be crystal clear.
A photo captures a moment in time at a particular place and allows the "viewer" to experience that "moment".
Your photos definitely show the beauty, the ruggedness, the tranquility of where you are fishing.
Many of us may never experience "that area" and your photos allow us to imagine what it's like.
I particularly love the "mist on the water"..so peaceful.

Thanking You
Gra
Well said. Agree totally. At the moment I'm unable to travel any more than 5 minutes from home for a fish because of my wife's ill health so seeing photos and reports like that make me happy and also bring back good memories of past trips to that area. Cheers.

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Mon May 16, 2016 1:49 pm

I once walked from walhalla to coopers creek and then followed the river back to walhalla. Big walk any some exellant fishing. Pity the leeches were in plague numbers.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon May 16, 2016 2:24 pm

Great report and nice photos to go with it 4liters, some nice looking water there.. It's all about enjoying yourself and taking in what's around you. Beautiful looking area, given the right day you may get several fish there.. good trip mate... I'd reckon it's worth another go one day, don't write it off yet.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon May 16, 2016 2:41 pm

meppstas wrote:Great report and nice photos to go with it 4liters, some nice looking water there.. It's all about enjoying yourself and taking in what's around you. Beautiful looking area, given the right day you may get several fish there.. good trip mate... I'd reckon it's worth another go one day, don't write it off yet.

cheers
Adrian
I saw quite a few, I think it's a matter of knowing where to cast and being able to anchor the yak in place while I work a patch over.

I know you choose between a rapala lure and the black fury based on the water clarity; I could just make out the bottom in 1m of water so I was wondering which would've been the better choice in that situation?

I'm not 100% sold on going back to that exact spot in a hurry, I was thinking about maybe trying out the Thomson above the Cowwarr weir where hopefully the flow might be a bit slower. There's bass in there allegedly which adds to the temptation.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Mon May 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Excellent write up!
4liters wrote:.......................................................................................................................................................................
I'm not 100% sold on going back to that exact spot in a hurry,.............................................................................................................
Why the desire to try somewhere else? Turned off by the lack of fish or just a difficult stretch of water to navigate? I wouldn't give up on the place.
Also, what Tex said about the photo quality...x 1,000,000!
cheers
Jim

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon May 16, 2016 4:45 pm

fantastic pics & report - thanks for sharing. its a wonderful part of the world to go to. I usually put the first trip down as a scouting trip and then follow up with another planned fishing trip, easier to know for next time how to approach the river & where the fish may be next time.
The rewards maybe a lot better on the 2nd trip!
quid est quod eum

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon May 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Mutley and Scruffy wrote:Excellent write up!
4liters wrote:.......................................................................................................................................................................
I'm not 100% sold on going back to that exact spot in a hurry,.............................................................................................................
Why the desire to try somewhere else? Turned off by the lack of fish or just a difficult stretch of water to navigate? I wouldn't give up on the place.
Also, what Tex said about the photo quality...x 1,000,000!
cheers
Jim
A combination of things. The launch spot is very steep, which is ok for launching but a pain in the arse for retrieving. It is also a bit hard to fish running water in my yak, which is more suited to open water. Then there is the fishing itself; a trip to WPB would take half the travel time and it'd be a dirty day indeed if I only got one 30cm fish in that neck of the woods. I'm also just keen to try new spots. Due to the low numbers of fish compared to saltwater freshwater fishing is more about the experience and there are so many areas to check out it seems silly to keep thrashing the one spot.

None of those on their own would keep me from going back, but it all adds up. I have in mind I'll give it another go when my trout fishing skills are a bit more developed so I can get the most out of the trip. Right now I'm eyeing off a trip up to Pretty Valley for a couple of nights but with my exam timetable (3 exams in 2 days :o_0: ) I'll have to come up with some pretty good excuses to convince myself this is a feasible trip.

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”