Pound Bend - evening 17th Dec

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Pound Bend - evening 17th Dec

Post by ChrisD » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Headed down to Pound Bend last night to give it a crack, hoping to find it was cooler by the river then at home. Well it was cooler so that was a positive start to the evening.
Fished garden worms on a few different rigs - working upstream from the car park and back again until dark.
As always - sensible - river bank access proved hard to find, without breaking my neck.
Dropped baits in and around the snags and into deeper pools below rapids. Saw quite a few large carp - best guess 50 odd cms -swimming around in a few places but could not get them to take a bait. Watched an echidna for a while, which was a bit of a highlight, but overall not a bite to be had.
Then just as I was about to pack it in due to fading light....bang a reasonable hit....managed to bring in a 25cm odd cod. Using a circle hook, but he managed to engulf it and I could not get it out safely, so cut the line and return him to the water.
Overall a lack luster trip to Pound Bend. Wasn't that long ago a trip to Pound Bend and I could pretty much back myself in for half a dozen Maccas and more carp, now I am working hard for a single bite. Looking at some of the banks there is certainly signs that the area is under increased fishing pressure and I suspect that is having a determental affect on fish numbers.......could also be that I have become a complete hack and all my fault for not getting much any more.....
Tomorrow, if I get out it will be the Patterson River, then I might start trying further upstream on the Yarra from Yarra Glen to Warburton and maybe beyond.
Think I need to try these new, well new to me, waters to get back amongst some decent catches.

simon2g

Re: Pound Bend - evening 17th Dec

Post by simon2g » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:42 pm

Think you are bang on mate, I have been getting no luck out the yarra.

Interesting thing to ponder, how has the toxic dump at pound bend effected the fishing do you think? It's been the last 2 years it has been happening although only recently was found out to be true,

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:45 pm

ChrisD wrote:Headed down to Pound Bend last night to give it a crack, hoping to find it was cooler by the river then at home. Well it was cooler so that was a positive start to the evening.
Fished garden worms on a few different rigs - working upstream from the car park and back again until dark.
As always - sensible - river bank access proved hard to find, without breaking my neck.
Dropped baits in and around the snags and into deeper pools below rapids. Saw quite a few large carp - best guess 50 odd cms -swimming around in a few places but could not get them to take a bait. Watched an echidna for a while, which was a bit of a highlight, but overall not a bite to be had.
Then just as I was about to pack it in due to fading light....bang a reasonable hit....managed to bring in a 25cm odd cod. Using a circle hook, but he managed to engulf it and I could not get it out safely, so cut the line and return him to the water.
Overall a lack luster trip to Pound Bend. Wasn't that long ago a trip to Pound Bend and I could pretty much back myself in for half a dozen Maccas and more carp, now I am working hard for a single bite. Looking at some of the banks there is certainly signs that the area is under increased fishing pressure and I suspect that is having a determental affect on fish numbers.......could also be that I have become a complete hack and all my fault for not getting much any more.....
Tomorrow, if I get out it will be the Patterson River, then I might start trying further upstream on the Yarra from Yarra Glen to Warburton and maybe beyond.
Think I need to try these new, well new to me, waters to get back amongst some decent catches.
Good luck and let us know what you catch :water:

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 am

Awesome work bud good luck! :)

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:21 pm

simon2g wrote:Think you are bang on mate, I have been getting no luck out the yarra.

Interesting thing to ponder, how has the toxic dump at pound bend effected the fishing do you think? It's been the last 2 years it has been happening although only recently was found out to be true,

I've had pretty successful sessions consistently in the Yarra since I started fishing it years ago.. Yeah we all donut from time to time but it's not often I come up nil on a session along the Yarra banks.. I just always walk a long way or risk breaking my neck to access water and it's virtually unfished

As a matter of fact I'm making use of this extremely high barometer n heading down now

Peace
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Wish I could be fishing it right now. That barometer is looking real nice

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Yeah and murpheys law I didn't produce **** one eel that's it.. Barometer was begging for a fish but it's not always to be huh
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:09 pm

The river between the tunnel exit upstream past the canoe steps to the rapids there is pretty shallow, its only typically about a meter deep. Sounded it up in a kayak. If you get down there in a kayak as you go downstream around the bend towards laughing waters there are some deep 6m and wide holes just below the rapids.

End of reynolds under the power lines is 6m, the horseshoe bend upstream, access from warrandyte side along path continuation from target rd behind Beasleys nursey has a 9m deep hole. Had cod from there. Other deep holes are bottom of last rapids at griffith park 6m, and top of rapids under Fitzsimmonds rd bridge 7m. Bend just downstream of heritage golf club under the cliffs 9m

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”