Plenty River - Montmorency

arabshark

Plenty River - Montmorency

Post by arabshark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:04 pm

I had a little bit of spare time after my nephews birthday this afternoon so I decided to fish a couple of spots before heading back home. I scouted a couple of spots at Finn's Reserve in the Yarra and threw a line in. First of all the area out there is very picturesque and I saw a platypus swimming around and feeding. I tried a few spots, but either the current was too strong or the area I was fishing was too dangerous. Anyways I wasn't enjoying myself so I decided to go to my favourite eel spot in the Plenty River.

After setting up a tiny float and an unweighted scrubby, it didn't take lone before i caught my first eel. He was only a little guy and ended up getting stuck in the surrounding plants. I broke my line and left him there and heard a 'plonking' sound 5 minutes later as it made its way back into the water. Eels are more intelligent creatures than we give them credit for.

I rigged up again, but this time with no leader, and a small octopus hook under a tiny float once again. I threw my line and 5 minutes later I was on again, I thought I caught another eel, this time a big one, however much to my surprise this was a fish, and a big one. I'm not sure if it was a carp or a yellowbelly because it was dark now and I could barely see its head as it surfaced. Anyways, I was only using 4lB line and this fish was at least 4-5kg, a real monster. I did my best to pull it up but snapped my line eventually. Next time I'll bring my telescopic net and take photos.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Plenty River - Montmorency

Post by ChrisD » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:14 pm

arabshark wrote:I had a little bit of spare time after my nephews birthday this afternoon so I decided to fish a couple of spots before heading back home. I scouted a couple of spots at Finn's Reserve in the Yarra and threw a line in. First of all the area out there is very picturesque and I saw a platypus swimming around and feeding. I tried a few spots, but either the current was too strong or the area I was fishing was too dangerous.
Sounds like the same spot I was in a couple of weeks back.....platypus was great to watch for 19 mins odd.....no fish biting. It was the same area where I fell and stuffed up my left eblow....had it in a sling for a week.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Plenty river is chock full of carp! My bet is it was a carp u lost. Good report I should head down n fish the river again sometime soon!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

arabshark

Post by arabshark » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:24 pm

If you need Eels for Gummy bait I'll show you my spot. It's chock full of Eels!!!

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”