Sugarloaf Report 23/5

burks

Sugarloaf Report 23/5

Post by burks » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Work's been flat out for the last week, which has prevented me from lurking like I usually do. But the deadline is over, and I've finally got time to report.

As a newbie to fishing, this year's been about reading, experimenting, adjusting, re-experimenting, lather, rinse, repeat. I've had a bit of luck down at my sister's place on the gippy lakes, but not much around home (ringwood area). Realising Sugarloaf was pretty close, and my 5yo finally starting to attend birthday parties that no longer require my attendance, I threw the rods into the car last Saturday and ducked up to scout it out up there, as a place to potentially take him. Had a quick look from the Ridge picnic area, before heading around to the Saddle Dam picnic area. I knew from my reading that I was wanting to cast at the dead trees if I wanted to hook a reddie, and I certainly found plenty to cast at!

The weather was perfect, and even through I only had a short window before I had to go and pick junior up, it was nice enough just going for an explore. I started casting at each group of submerged trees, giving each group several casts before moving onto the next. An eye on the clock, I was about to give up and push around the shore for one last group when bam! Hooked my first reddie on a 2.5" Z-man grubz in motor oil colour, and played him around the rest of the trees and brought him in - my first!

Snapped a quick photo, estimated the size around 25cm, released him back for another day, and headed off to pick up the kid.

With the weather looking even better the next day (Sun 24/5), I took my son back with me in attempt to get him to hook his first. He's been with me when we've caught flatties and a tailor down gippy lakes, but never on his own line. With excitement building, we walked down to the same spot I'd landed one, and just as we approached the shore, I spotted several more swimming around the trees a metre or so from the bank, and just as I go to tell my son to be quiet, he yelled out about something, and off they went! We tried for another hour or so, and I was getting hits every cast towards the end of the session, but couldn't land any. By that stage 5yo patience was at it's limits, so we packed up the rods, went for an explore over the rocks, and vowed to return another day.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Sugarloaf Report 23/5

Post by Boonanza » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:39 pm

Great report & pics burks :thumbsup: Sugarloaf is a bit hit & miss place to fish but is a good to take young kids.

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”