"Common catch that tastes great!"

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
Speedbird13

Re: "Common catch that tastes great!"

Post by Speedbird13 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:12 pm

beautiful! Im an instructor at moorabbin airport so yes we will have a lot to talk about! Im also studying to get my marine boats licence :)

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Sat May 10, 2014 4:19 pm

I'm guessing you are in the southe east judging by the piers you've listed. Try Brighton pier, 2nd hut, cast north towards the harbor. 2 hook paternoster rig with half pillies or bluebait. I catch them mainly in the lower Yarra, any of the piers in Port Melbourne to Williamstown will get you flatties.

bayman

Post by bayman » Sat May 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Try the Hastings pier on the high tide you should get a few :reel:

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Sun May 11, 2014 1:17 am

Speedbird13 wrote:beautiful! Im an instructor at moorabbin airport so yes we will have a lot to talk about! Im also studying to get my marine boats licence :)
Do you have a student called Ryan? Did his first solo not too long ago?
Abuthen

Speedbird13

Post by Speedbird13 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 am

Hi Abuthen, no sorry i dont have a Ryan, he might be with a different school :)

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Sun May 11, 2014 10:29 am

If fishing with bait it's probably worth while keeping G the bait moving along the bottom. Every 3 to 5 minutes or so just give it a few winds of the reel to get the bait moving a few metres along the bottom and hopefully cross paths with a flatty.

I was fishing Brighton pier with my son one night and he was getting impatient with the bait soaking, so he was continually casting and retrieving. As much as I told him that's not how bait fishing works, he didn't listen and continued to do his own thing... He was having fun and getting a lot of casting practice so I wasn't going to stop him. Sure enough, he ended up catching the one and only flatty for the night, while my bait soaking and SP flicking returned nothing.

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Sun May 11, 2014 6:30 pm

shazzagraz wrote:If fishing with bait it's probably worth while keeping G the bait moving along the bottom. Every 3 to 5 minutes or so just give it a few winds of the reel to get the bait moving a few metres along the bottom and hopefully cross paths with a flatty.

I was fishing Brighton pier with my son one night and he was getting impatient with the bait soaking, so he was continually casting and retrieving. As much as I told him that's not how bait fishing works, he didn't listen and continued to do his own thing... He was having fun and getting a lot of casting practice so I wasn't going to stop him. Sure enough, he ended up catching the one and only flatty for the night, while my bait soaking and SP flicking returned nothing.
Actually amazing how effective that can be, the other half and I make a habit of just slowly retrieving when we're checking our baits...have caught flatties and even a Couta while on the move :a_goodjob:

I have only taken to SP fishing in the last year and I love it, and Moreso flatties love it. Be persistent and move around all the time, really slow hops on the bottom.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun May 11, 2014 9:19 pm

If you really want to scratch the flatty bug. Hire a noat from mornington. They are in plague proportions out there. Altho it doesnt help you catch them land based. Just keep at it and the rewards will come :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Return to “Flathead fishing”