2012 Flathead reports

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
shazzagraz

Re: 2012 Flathead reports

Post by shazzagraz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Yeah sounds like we got there too late. We had obligations with our wives and tossed up whether to go fishing before or after dinner. Decided on going after dinner, thinking we might have better luck at dusk. Sounds like we should've gone before dinner.

The guys near the huts were still there when we left, including the guy with the bite alarm setup. We kept an eye on them as we fished and didn't see them catch anything. The action had obviously stopped.

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:15 am

Have been getting some nice mid to High 45cm flatties all this week. Not sure if its the southerly wind?. Yesterday I got 3 nice ones, fishing off a pier, using soft plastics. They did not seem to mind the choppy/cold weather.

Have seen people catching barely legal pinkies but not snapper.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:16 pm

snapperslayer wrote:Have been getting some nice mid to High 45cm flatties all this week. Not sure if its the southerly wind?. Yesterday I got 3 nice ones, fishing off a pier, using soft plastics. They did not seem to mind the choppy/cold weather.

:clap: :clap: :thumbsup: on SP. great work. Now change your name to flattyslayer. :haha2:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
snapperslayer wrote:Have been getting some nice mid to High 45cm flatties all this week. Not sure if its the southerly wind?. Yesterday I got 3 nice ones, fishing off a pier, using soft plastics. They did not seem to mind the choppy/cold weather.

:clap: :clap: :thumbsup: on SP. great work. Now change your name to flattyslayer. :haha2:
haha true that, I was thinking about it smh , catching snapper landbased on sp is hard.

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 am

snapperslayer wrote: catching snapper landbased on sp is hard.
true, they need to be thick and around to catch these buggers on SP LB. I can count on my 2 hands the number of times I caught this pink fish on SP LB. My biggest snapper LB on SP was only 43~ish cm taken from St Kilda pier on berkley gulp 4 inch minnow. Still hoping to catch a bigger one. Maybe next year. The big ones seems to have disappeared LB.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:38 am

Fish-cador wrote:
snapperslayer wrote: catching snapper landbased on sp is hard.
true, they need to be thick and around to catch these buggers on SP LB. I can count on my 2 hands the number of times I caught this pink fish on SP LB. My biggest snapper LB on SP was only 43~ish cm taken from St Kilda pier on berkley gulp 4 inch minnow. Still hoping to catch a bigger one. Maybe next year. The big ones seems to have disappeared LB.

Agreed, As I only fish with sps and I fish 3 times a week so hopefully a decent red landbased isnt too far :thumbsup: thats me being optimistic :mrgreen:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 pm

i fish werribee in around 8 meters n find drifting the best, i find with the plastics i will catch heaps of smaller flathead ...i find the baits half or whole pillchard..will generally score the big flathead ...always get feed of flathead in werribee area n odd gummy on fresh salmon
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:21 pm

got a 73cm flatty on sunday along with half a dozen 45-50cm ones to go with it. was fishing for gummies but these guys kept taking the bait.

no gummies but I was pretty happy with the flathead haul. its (close too) the biggest flathead ive caught

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Nice one. :clap: :clap:

I hope you released that big momma. Nothing wrong with keeping it but I wont keep something that big.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm

You can no longer keep duskys that big.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... y-flathead

Return to “Flathead fishing”