Land based flatheads

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
Phwaah

Land based flatheads

Post by Phwaah » Sat May 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey guys. I want to try and aim for some flatheads in the coming weeks. Just would like some tips as to how to catch them. I will be land based and anywhere about an hour out of south Eastern suburbs. Things like tide, time, baits, rigs, locations and maybe techniques. Thanks in advance!

I've been out a few times to Hastings and around ppb piers without any bites for many weeks.
-Chris.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Land based flatheads

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:39 am

id give pretty much anywhere a go on the outgoing tide. Have you tried fishing plastics? wading/walking the beaches of port phillip bay have been successful for some.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Land based flatheads

Post by sloth » Sun May 03, 2015 5:42 am

As said above target the run-out. Look for ambush points like choke points, channels/gutters, drop-offs etc and work a soft plastic there along the bottom. If you walk the areas you fish on a low tide you may be able to spot flathead lies and those are the areas you should target on the next run-out.

Never fished bait for them but I would imagine a running sinker rig worked in the same way as above would work

corz87

Post by corz87 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:13 am

Hey phwaah,
have you had any luck yet. I'm looking to do the same thing. Not sure where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu May 21, 2015 11:15 am

bait prawn or squid on a running sinker

as mentioned hit the run out shouldn't be hard to find, keepers might be another question tho lol
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

TheCrowe

Post by TheCrowe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:52 am

G'day I'm new to surf fishing would like to no best spots to catch flathead between seaspray and welshpool please any help would be great

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:50 pm

TheCrowe wrote:G'day I'm new to surf fishing would like to no best spots to catch flathead between seaspray and welshpool please any help would be great
Welcome to the forum!

There is a marine park to the east of Seaspray, good fishing along 90 mile beach to the west. There is beach access from Mcguarans beach thru to McLoughlins beach, all will fish well for flatties from Nov onwards. From McLoughlins to Welshpool there is limited access to the water & tidal. Try robertsons beach around high tide.
quid est quod eum

TheCrowe

Post by TheCrowe » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:47 am

Cheers pal

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Most piers will have flatties. I caught one yesterday at Brighton off the pier.

About 1hr after high tide i find is usually the best. Just cast it out as far as you can. Running sinker setup. Bait not important but I've caught them before on chicken salmon mackerel pilchard prawn.

Low tide sometimes you can see them in the shallows. Drop a SP near them slow rolled or the running sinker setup with bait.

The key i find with bait is to move your rod regularly. Flatties seem to like things that move

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:20 pm

I dont have much experience, but from what I've heard use gulp 3'' nemesis with 1/4oz jighead. Good luck!

Return to “Flathead fishing”