Flathead spikes

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
User avatar
Seb85
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 pm
Has liked: 206 times
Likes received: 145 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by Seb85 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:24 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 pm
Rub the puncture on the ass of the flathead. Right where it’s nice and yellow.

It will take the sting away.

Tried and tested.
Someone told me that too, lol.
I remember that time I got cut on my middle finger. So I wasn't sure how people would react if I'd tell a story on how I rub my middle finger in flathead's bum.
So no, I used the baby wipe instead.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :fish22:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe



Remove these ads.

ango
Rank: Flathead
Rank: Flathead
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:21 pm
Likes received: 4 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by ango » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:44 pm

I have been spiked so many time now I am immune, it just bleeds a bit but no pain. Once I got spiked by one about 60 cm or so, when I reached down to unhook it, it did the side to side shimmy and the gill spike went into my finger and came out through my finger nail, that's the worst spiking I can remember.
Cheers
Ango.

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 4611
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am
Likes received: 37 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by 4liters » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:03 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 pm
They say that the first spike on the dorsal fin in poisonous. Im not sure how true this is, but it certainly makes the area go numb and is annoying for about half an hour.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was venomous. The ones on the gills are the worry though, you're right in the firing line when they start shaking their heads.
yepi'mon wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 pm
Rub the puncture on the ass of the flathead. Right where it’s nice and yellow.

It will take the sting away.

Tried and tested.
Can confirm. Not necessarily right on the date though, anywhere on the belly works.

The first time I tried it I copped it from one of the tiny buggers that I'd released, finger was bleeding profusely for half an hour and I had a dull, throbbing ache like I'd got a fracture or something. I remembered the advice about flattie slime, grabbed one out of the esky and rubbed it on the cut. Within 5 minutes the bleeding had stopped and the pain had gone away.

It could still be a placebo or whatever, but either way if you're not in pain anymore it doesn't really matter if it's an actual pharmaceutical effect or just in your head I guess.
2015/16 Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

User avatar
Bugatti
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 am
Has liked: 844 times
Likes received: 235 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 pm

heard you'll get some relief by having somebody pee on it

yepi'mon wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Rub the puncture on the ass of the flathead

Aliens 1.PNG


Aliens 2.PNG


Aliens 3.PNG


Aliens 4.PNG


I have heard that pee is actually great for a lot of things, World War I troops would use it for field medicine/antiseptic , , , , and the underbelly of the Flathead is new to me but nature works in mysterious and amazing ways.


Cheers, Buttgatti

User avatar
Seb85
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 pm
Has liked: 206 times
Likes received: 145 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by Seb85 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 pm
StarrangerAU wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 pm

heard you'll get some relief by having somebody pee on it
yepi'mon wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Rub the puncture on the ass of the flathead
Aliens 1.PNG

Aliens 2.PNG

Aliens 3.PNG

Aliens 4.PNG

I have heard that pee is actually great for a lot of things, World War I troops would use it for field medicine/antiseptic , , , , and the underbelly of the Flathead is new to me but nature works in mysterious and amazing ways.

Cheers, Buttgatti
Never heard of pee being used as antiseptic.
Someone should do an experiment, spike a mate and pee on the cut. Lol.

Ps: Bug, thought the aliens are the one anal probing humans first, I think that's how its started. Or I watched too many 80s sci fi movies, lol
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :fish22:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Rank: Mulloway
Rank: Mulloway
Posts: 10328
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:21 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Likes received: 109 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:16 pm

ango wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:44 pm
I have been spiked so many time now I am immune, it just bleeds a bit but no pain. Once I got spiked by one about 60 cm or so, when I reached down to unhook it, it did the side to side shimmy and the gill spike went into my finger and came out through my finger nail, that's the worst spiking I can remember.
Cheers
Ango.
Haha I’m pretty much in the same boat.
Lost count of how many times I’ve been spiked by those things!!!
Come to think of it it hasn’t happened for awhile though.
Hopefully it stays that way!
Cheers :thumbsup:



Remove these ads.

KeenAds
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:09 pm
Likes received: 7 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by KeenAds » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Rubbing the slim from the belly of the flathead does stop the bleeding I was shocked the first time I tried it.

smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 8248
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Likes received: 79 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:25 pm
frozenpod wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:11 pm
4liters wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm
It’s probably got an anticoagulant in it
It certainly does.
I've had some shockers (those deep punchers take ages to stop squirting) ...luckily they taste good
When it happens I dout it highly lol

User avatar
yepi'mon
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:00 pm
Location: South East
Has liked: 2 times
Likes received: 10 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it....

User avatar
Bugatti
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 am
Has liked: 844 times
Likes received: 235 times

Re: Flathead spikes

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 pm
Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it....
I'm about as clumsy as they come, and I am definitely going to try it.

Only think is, I don't catch a lot of flatties , , , , does anyone know if it would work with other fish too? I'd assume the slim on other fish must do the same for them, so why not us too?

Cheers, Bug , , , , Oddly looking forward to getting spiked to give it a go ;-)



Remove these ads.

Post Reply

Return to “Flathead fishing”