Photo of Dead Murray Cod – bad PR?

Fishing club news, reports and notifications of upcoming fishing competitions.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Photo of Dead Murray Cod – bad PR?

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:21 pm

PedroArvy wrote:
greggo wrote:I dont think photo's like that will do you much good. Catch and release is becoming more popular, along with release photos/videos. A club that demonstrates it's modern in it's thinking, and is keen to learn/teach the current trends, will attract more interest than one that doesn't. So if you're doing the P.R. thing, I'd be looking at adding some alternative pics.
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. However most responses seem a little less strict.
You are asking a group of people who have no issue with keeping a fish to eat every now and then or fish specifically to stock up the freezer. Outside of fishing circles you might get a different reaction, although a lot of people wouldn't know much about cod or even recognise one if they saw it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:34 pm

sandef wrote:
Brett wrote:
sandef wrote:The only issue is that it came from a water way not stocked by fisheries

Where does it say that?
on their club web site
Well that explains why I didn't see it in the O.P

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:40 pm

If the non stocked waters that fish came out of are south of the divide,old mate probably did all the indigenous native fishy's to the waterway a big favour :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:11 pm

drew 2 wrote:If the non stocked waters that fish came out of are south of the divide,old mate probably did all the indigenous native fishy's to the waterway a big favour :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
while we are at it we can get rid of all the feral trout stocked north of the divide

HarryS11

Post by HarryS11 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:23 pm

As an avid cod fisherman I think there is a fair bit of bad PR about posting pics of dead cod, especially among the cod fishing community. However if it was taken from a stocked lake like Eildon and was under 70cm (70cm+ is a prize fish for many) then there is very little to become mad about, even for a die-hard cod fisho.
Overall I don't have a problem with catching and keeping a reasonable sized cod for a feed occasionally but I cant help feeling slightly disappointed when I see it, especially when the waterway they are taken in has very few breeding cod.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:33 pm

sandef wrote:
drew 2 wrote:If the non stocked waters that fish came out of are south of the divide,old mate probably did all the indigenous native fishy's to the waterway a big favour :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
while we are at it we can get rid of all the feral trout stocked north of the divide
The DEPI are currently investigating a lethal form of Meppstas that can be released into Victoria's waterways to control invasive trout.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:54 pm

sandef wrote:
I've been working on that for the last 20 odd year's mate :rofl:

The sooner the stocking of trout in the MD-B stop's the better.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:11 pm

4liters wrote:
sandef wrote:
The DEPI are currently investigating a lethal form of Meppstas that can be released into Victoria's waterways to control invasive trout.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi Pedro, the question you ask is - if the picture is good PR for your angling club?

The answer depends on the club's goals and mission statement. Knowing your club and it's history, I think you'll find that most members (90%) of your club will have no problems with the photo that was posted.

But I can see that you might have some concern about the image/perception it portrays to the outside world about your club and it's members. At the end of the day, in the fishing community everyone has their own ideals and morals. I wouldn't be too concerned about PR because you'll never ever be able to satisfy every fisher 100% of the time. Some fish for catch and release whilst others fish for sustenance.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:03 am

First off hi there Pedro it's been a while since we've seen each other - must be all that walking around the prom keeping you busy
PedroArvy wrote:Personally, I am against the killing of any Murray Cod. Although it is legal, I think the aura around this fish and the fact they don’t taste particularly good means you should let them go. I also assume the community agrees. That’s why I am making this post. We are trying to introduce a catch and release competition but there are some older members who have a certain old fashioned view of the world.

Do you think such photos are bad for our PR or neutral, after all you can kill Murray Cod if you wish? Would this discourage you from joining a fishing club?
I myself have no problem with the pic -

I wouldn't keep Cod and it's nothing to do with them being an iconic Aust species , I just don't find them all that good to eat ( yes I have tried them ) like most fresh water species don't compare well to salt water species - I keep enough salt water species to eat

I see no difference in someone taking a pic of a cod taken for a feed than any other species , if it's taken legally and with in the fishing guidelines on size and or closed seasons

To me most fishos do the right thing and a pic of any legally caught fish should not be thought of a bad PR in any fishing community/club
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Victorian Fishing Clubs”