Private lake stocking

Fishing club news, reports and notifications of upcoming fishing competitions.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Private lake stocking

Post by 4liters » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:32 am

Texas wrote:Trout (muddy tasting) & eels (can't remember how they taste)
Bloke (in the weekly times) recommend perch only for my mates dam in the Strathbogies, told not to put anything in his spring Fed dams, can't remember why
Cheers Gra
The mineral content in spring water might not have been good enough for fish to live in.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:36 am

4liters wrote:
Bloke (in the weekly times) recommend perch only for my mates dam in the Strathbogies, told not to put anything in his spring Fed dams, can't remember why
Cheers Gra
The mineral content in spring water might not have been good enough for fish to live in.
Not 100% sure, but, don't think there was any yabbies in them either

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:29 pm

4liters wrote:
Cheers Gra
It might be different here but in NZ the trout in spring fed streams are mental. My guess would be risk of escape in a flood
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Catchin

Post by Catchin » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:36 am

There are a couple of privately stocked dams close to Melbourne where they run fly fishing courses as well as C&R for fly fisho's. But it's not cheap.

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:11 am

gregmaka wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:53 pm
illegal full stop,if you know of any person doing this in Victoria,please don't support it.
https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... tion-sheet

https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... -farm-dams

not according to fisherys themself

Stocking fish in farm dams information sheet

In Victoria many people successfully stock private farm dams with various fish species. Stocking fish in your dam can provide valuable leisure opportunities and a useful food source.

You do not require a permit or licence for non-commercial stocking of your farm dam provided you stock it as described on this web page.
Appropriate stocking

Inappropriate stocking has the potential to cause serious environmental and economic damage.

History has shown that fish species introduced to the wild can become a pest (e.g. European carp), making control and elimination extremely difficult and often impossible.

Fish that escape from a farm dam have the potential to compete and displace native species, spread disease and damage the aquatic environment and the associated social and economic benefits derived from that environment

Therefore, fish destined for a farm dam must not be stocked into public waters or allowed to escape into these waters.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:35 am

A fiend of mine near Canberra stocked his fairly small farm dam (full of yabbies) with Rainbow Trout. They grew quickly and after 2 years he thought they had all been caught. Two years later the dam overflowed for the first time in years - and in the grass below the outlet the next day he found two dead trout of about 4 kg each. Even though the dam was next to his house and he had not seen a sign of a trout in all that time. He was kicking himself he had given up fishing in the dam.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:31 am

rb85 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:12 pm
A lot of regional angling clubs and individuals stock privately owned Dams throughout Victoria I have fished dams with Trophy trout, good yellas and Bass.

Without giving away yours or mates or clubs Dams tell us what you have caught in private dams with permission obviously.
We had an old dam stocked with rainbows, browns and Atlantic salmon

The rainbows grew up to 56cm. A lot died during a heat wave though unfortunately. Pretty cruel putting them in there in hindsight

Edit: I see I’ve already replied in this thread

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:59 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:31 am
rb85 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:12 pm
A lot of regional angling clubs and individuals stock privately owned Dams throughout Victoria I have fished dams with Trophy trout, good yellas and Bass.

Without giving away yours or mates or clubs Dams tell us what you have caught in private dams with permission obviously.
We had an old dam stocked with rainbows, browns and Atlantic salmon

The rainbows grew up to 56cm. A lot died during a heat wave though unfortunately. Pretty cruel putting them in there in hindsight

Edit: I see I’ve already replied in this thread
I had a sense of deja vu
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Return to “Victorian Fishing Clubs”