Needs abit of Game Advice please! ( Black Marlin )

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Needs abit of Game Advice please! ( Black Marlin )

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:45 pm

meet him tomorrow Vinhii :-)
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:52 pm

LMFAO!!? what the? meet me where?? i already went ,.. i even posted a thread too after my adventure lolol :cheers:
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 pm

need to use 37kg rods and big game reel

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:36 pm

lol ;)

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Species Profile

Marlin

Marlin are Bermagui’s main drawcard and are found in large numbers. They are renowned throughout the world for their speed, power and endurance, as well as their grace and beauty. Marlin are, without doubt, the ‘King of Fish’ and are the ultimate prize for anglers.

It has been said that more marlin are caught off Bermagui than in any other Australian port. However, Bermagui doesn't have quite the same reputation for big marlin as does Cairns, mainly because Bermagui is yet to see a 1000lbs plus (Grander!) fish weighed in. Bermagui, however, regularly sees large fish of 600 – 900lbs in weight.

There are three Indo-Pacific marlin, all of which are prevalent off Bermagui from December through to May. These are the Striped, Blue and Black marlin. All three marlin readily take an assortment of lures as well as live baits. The favoured live baits used off Bermagui are striped tuna, slimy mackerel and cowan young.

Striped Marlin

Otherwise known as the ‘Stripey’, this marlin is the dominant species caught off Bermagui. Striped marlin are acrobatic, aerial fighters and are beautifully coloured. They are very similar in appearance to the Blue marlin, but their distinguishing features are that they are more slender for their length, have a higher dorsal fin and have concave pectoral fins.

Of the three marlin species, Striped marlin are by far the best table fish making excellent eating with its pink flesh that is easily fried, baked or barbecued. (However, very few are eaten as the majority are tagged.) The average Striped marlin is around the 100kg (220lbs) mark, with the larger ones being around 150kg (330lbs).

Pacific Blue Marlin

The Blue marlin is a large powerful fish swimming at speeds of up to 80kph (50mph). When at speed, its pectoral fins fold neatly into grooves alongside its body to reduce water drag. Blue marlin have been reported to grow in excess of 1000kgs (2200lbs!). The heaviest Blue landed off Bermagui is 450kg; however, Trudee V tagged and released an estimated Blue of over 900lbs. Charterers lucky enough to catch a Blue marlin on the Eden Explorer or Trudee V are strongly encouraged to tag and release the fish, unless it is a tournament winner or likely to be an Australian and/or International record.

Black Marlin

Black Marlin are closely related to the Blue marlin. The are very solid in build and have a heavier and more ‘humped’ head with a shorter bill than the other species. Furthermore, the pectoral fins of the Black marlin don’t fold into the sides as they do on the Striped or Blue marlin. Black marlin are found the world over, from around 400 North to around 400 South. The first ever to be caught on a rod and reel was captured off Port Stephens - just north of Sydney. Most of the Black marlin caught off the east coast of New South Wales are small being around the 60-70kg mark. Black marlin caught off Bermagui have an average size of 150kg!

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 pm

lol thanks ricki :D

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:01 pm

no probs
if you are trawling for marlin with lures or live bait you need to have the lures out like your trawling for tuna but also have them via a handline spool so when they strike the bait the line comes of a spool so there is no pull on the line while the marlin take the lure.

Return to “Game Fishing”