Whos tuna fishing this season?

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Whos tuna fishing this season?

Post by smile0784 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:23 pm

cobby wrote:Just bought a Stabicraft 1410 fisher tiller steer? All good, throw in the Tiagras, drive to Portland and blood it with 108kg of sashimi.

(not me)

Heard of it but dout it happena

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 pm

scott__henning wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
scott__henning wrote:I’m probably heading to Portland this weekend, will let ya know how we go if we get down there
Did you head down scottie?
Yeah mate was hard work today, we went west and found a few schools but couldn’t get a bite. Later in the day found the other boats 15km SE of the rock with plenty of schoolies busting up, again couldn’t get a bite.

Zero’s for us, interestingly there were at least 5 barrels hooked today.
Bad luck mate.
Good effort for trying

Bugger. Wonder if they were caught

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 pm

cobby wrote:Just bought a Stabicraft 1410 fisher tiller steer? All good, throw in the Tiagras, drive to Portland and blood it with 108kg of sashimi.

(not me)
Wow not bad for a boat that size!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 pm

smile0784 wrote:

(not me)

Why? When it's basically a glass out judging by that picture and modern small 4 strokes using 2/5ths of f.a fuel at trolling speed there's nothing stopping a small boat heading offshore with a competent skipper.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:35 pm

cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

(not me)

Why? When it's basically a glass out judging by that picture and modern small 4 strokes using 2/5ths of f.a fuel at trolling speed there's nothing stopping a small boat heading offshore with a competent skipper.
Those blokes were pretty keen but yeah it was a total glass out, you could’ve fished offshore in a bathtub today.

They got that fish after a 2h fight and I’m more impressed that they managed to get the fish in the boat without tipping themselves out :rofl:

cobby

Post by cobby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Ugly as all hell but they're bloody stable those little stabis

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:14 pm

cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

(not me)

Its not all about the fuel.

1. Cos if the fish is big enough in a small boat it could pull you to port mac
2. Chance of weather comes threw fast
3. Boating a fish that size on a small boat could be tricky

cobby

Post by cobby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:10 pm

smile0784 wrote:
cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

(not me)

Its not all about the fuel.

1. Cos if the fish is big enough in a small boat it could pull you to port mac
2. Chance of weather comes threw fast
3. Boating a fish that size on a small boat could be tricky
Guessing you haven't played with a little stabi or any decent small boat before...
1 no chance of happening. Open boat, chase fish down very quickly fighting from the bow and getting better angles quicker. No matter its size a Tuna can't sustain 50km/h+ over vast distances
2 The likely hood of that happening when it's 3 days straight of picture perfect glass out weather forecast with zero changes or storms is next to nothing.
3 Use the bow roller for leverage, central area minimising risk of tipping. Or just tow it in? Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm

scott__henning wrote:
cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

(not me)

Those blokes were pretty keen but yeah it was a total glass out, you could’ve fished offshore in a bathtub today.

They got that fish after a 2h fight and I’m more impressed that they managed to get the fish in the boat without tipping themselves out :rofl:
At the boat wash in Portland, got talking to a bloke who swapped boats to give a single fisherman a hand to land his barre. He was fishing solo in a 4.5 metre tinnie and hooked a barrel, this other bloke hopped his boat to give this guy a hand driving his boat for about 2 hours until he landed a tuna eztimated weight 120kg.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
scott__henning wrote:
cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

(not me)

At the boat wash in Portland, got talking to a bloke who swapped boats to give a single fisherman a hand to land his barre. He was fishing solo in a 4.5 metre tinnie and hooked a barrel, this other bloke hopped his boat to give this guy a hand driving his boat for about 2 hours until he landed a tuna eztimated weight 120kg.
Good effort

Return to “Game Fishing”