494kg Marlin off Exmouth

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Sinsemilla

Re: 494kg Marlin off Exmouth

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:24 pm

scott__henning wrote:Eddie is a top bloke and he’d have over 2000 tagged and released blues to his name.

He’s been chasing a grander off Exmouth for years, and has lost 2 previously at the boat, good on him for finally getting one!

There are soooo many blue marlin out there, no commmercial pressure in aus, absolutely nothing wrong with taking one, expecially a record fish.
I was waiting for someone to give me some info on the guy and my suspicions are spot on. Guys that chase fish like this are the ultimate conservationists.
What i was going to say is, i bet this guy has tagged and released heaps of marlin for science and has actually probably helped these fish in some way. More than i can say for the tree hugging hippies who kick up a stink to this kind of stuff.. thinking they are conservationist and all earthly because they hike once every 6 months, while driving around in their cars and talking on their iphones..

Anth

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:33 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Texas wrote:That's one of the marlin Scott & his mates released
99% of charters do not keep marlin, unless they're record size
I am not a believer of bigger fish breed more fish, than younger fish.
The young 4litres would breed more than the older Texas ( if he could).

Just saying
Gra

I have to agree with you to be honest. Gwaine Blake had the same theory in a gummy talk I went to. Any animal (including humans) are prime breeders in the adolescent to young adult age. Once you get past that breeding capabilities decline.

Not sure if it's any different in fish though.
This isn't true. It's well established that size and fecundity are positively associated in fish. Fish live in a harsh world, and they simply don't survive long enough for their breeding capabilities to decline.

I really don't like fisherman parading as conservationists. We aren't some great saviour of fish - we put fish through pain and stress for our own enjoyment. I think we just have to accept this rather than claim we have the best interests of fish at heart. I genuinely love fish - I've studied them for the last 5 years and plan to the rest of my life - but I love fishing more. I do agree that tagging fish does provide some meaningful data, but let's be honest, this isn't the reason people fish.

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Also I'm not having a go at the guy who caught this fish, just a general observation.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am

Broomstick wrote: I really don't like fisherman parading as conservationists. We aren't some great saviour of fish - we put fish through pain and stress for our own enjoyment. I think we just have to accept this rather than claim we have the best interests of fish at heart. I genuinely love fish - I've studied them for the last 5 years and plan to the rest of my life - but I love fishing more. I do agree that tagging fish does provide some meaningful data, but let's be honest, this isn't the reason people fish.
Well said, I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am

You're absolutely right Broomstick. But i think a hardcore fisherman like this guy cares about the environment more than most. Just like yourself. I bet you pick up rubbish if you see it left around where you go fishing, no?

People who spend more time outdoors usually care more about the outdoors. Alright he took a big fish.. which is going to feed a lot of people. I think it would be much better for the environment if everyone had to do this for a feed. A lot less fish would be taken from the ocean that's for sure.

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:39 am

Sinsemilla wrote:You're absolutely right Broomstick. But i think a hardcore fisherman like this guy cares about the environment more than most. Just like yourself. I bet you pick up rubbish if you see it left around where you go fishing, no?

People who spend more time outdoors usually care more about the outdoors. Alright he took a big fish.. which is going to feed a lot of people. I think it would be much better for the environment if everyone had to do this for a feed. A lot less fish would be taken from the ocean that's for sure.
I agree with you. I actually think that keeping fish for food can be more meaningful than releasing them. Especially a huge marlin, which probably wouldn't release well.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:47 pm

What a waste off a fish imo

Fish like that should be released.

Its like a meter barra ,flathead or cod....should go straight back in tbe water asap

Next some rabbit wiil kill queensland grouper

Bm

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:10 pm

Great capture mixed feelings from the public plenty of marlin for dinner.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:03 am

Don't think they'll be eating it, it says in the article it'll be sent to the game fishing association to be measured. Not sure the meat would be much good anyway unless they cleaned it straight away and had 100kg or so of ice and a huge esky on board to chill it down.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 am

Is marlin even good to eat? I know Swordfish is alright, similar?

Return to “Game Fishing”