494kg Marlin off Exmouth

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: 494kg Marlin off Exmouth

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:07 am

Japanese eat heaps of marlin and seem to love it, I have had it once and it was ok.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:15 am

Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
Texas wrote:That's one of the marlin Scott & his mates released
99% of charters do not keep marlin, unless they're record size
I am not a believer of bigger fish breed more fish, than younger fish.
The young 4litres would breed more than the older Texas ( if he could).

Just saying
Gra

I have to agree with you to be honest. Gwaine Blake had the same theory in a gummy talk I went to. Any animal (including humans) are prime breeders in the adolescent to young adult age. Once you get past that breeding capabilities decline.

Not sure if it's any different in fish though.
This isn't true. It's well established that size and fecundity are positively associated in fish. Fish live in a harsh world, and they simply don't survive long enough for their breeding capabilities to decline.

I really don't like fisherman parading as conservationists. We aren't some great saviour of fish - we put fish through pain and stress for our own enjoyment. I think we just have to accept this rather than claim we have the best interests of fish at heart. I genuinely love fish - I've studied them for the last 5 years and plan to the rest of my life - but I love fishing more. I do agree that tagging fish does provide some meaningful data, but let's be honest, this isn't the reason people fish.
Interesting and makes sense.

Although are we better of taking the bigger fish and letting the smaller fish grow and breed through a number of cycles OR taking the smaller fish and only letting the big fish breed??

Boxhead

Post by Boxhead » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:23 am

I am not sure about the bigger ones.
But back in mid 80's I used to do a fair bit of Marlin & Tuna fishing out of Bermagui.
We had a mid size (120kg) Marlin capture on light line, the fish came to the boat very worn out and would not survive. We decided to boat it and fillet the fish after weigh in (was kept cool under flowing water, towels and ice. Was also captured at end of day). it was very nice cut into steaks about 1.5-2 inches thick and cooked on BBQ.
Kimtown wrote:Is marlin even good to eat? I know Swordfish is alright, similar?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:40 am

Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:

Just saying
Gra

I have to agree with you to be honest. Gwaine Blake had the same theory in a gummy talk I went to. Any animal (including humans) are prime breeders in the adolescent to young adult age. Once you get past that breeding capabilities decline.

This isn't true. It's well established that size and fecundity are positively associated in fish. Fish live in a harsh world, and they simply don't survive long enough for their breeding capabilities to decline.

Thanks Pat, I knew you'd know

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 am

yepi'mon wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:

Just saying
Gra

I really don't like fisherman parading as conservationists. We aren't some great saviour of fish - we put fish through pain and stress for our own enjoyment. I think we just have to accept this rather than claim we have the best interests of fish at heart. I genuinely love fish - I've studied them for the last 5 years and plan to the rest of my life - but I love fishing more. I do agree that tagging fish does provide some meaningful data, but let's be honest, this isn't the reason people fish.

Although are we better of taking the bigger fish and letting the smaller fish grow and breed through a number of cycles OR taking the smaller fish and only letting the big fish breed??
To use bream as an example, a really big female (40cm+) can lay up to 6 million eggs a year. A small female that has recently reached maturity might only lay 500,000 eggs in a year. So it might take a small female 8+ years of breeding (factoring in that her rate of egg production will increase as she grows) before she produces what a large female spits out in one year. And the chances of a smaller fish surviving that long are slim, as smaller fish are generally more susceptible to predation etc. So in this scenario, taking a smaller fish is definitely a better option. This is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it and there are heaps of other factors involved, but in general I think taking young fish is better for the population.

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 am

Texas wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:

Just saying
Gra

Thanks Pat, I knew you'd know
No worries Gra.

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 am

Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:

Just saying
Gra

To use bream as an example, a really big female (40cm+) can lay up to 6 million eggs a year. A small female that has recently reached maturity might only lay 500,000 eggs in a year. So it might take a small female 8+ years of breeding (factoring in that her rate of egg production will increase as she grows) before she produces what a large female spits out in one year. And the chances of a smaller fish surviving that long are slim, as smaller fish are generally more susceptible to predation etc. So in this scenario, taking a smaller fish is definitely a better option. This is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it and there are heaps of other factors involved, but in general I think taking young fish is better for the population.
Interesting mate, certainly makes sense when you put numbers to it. His other reason was bloodlines - the more "breeding" fish there are, young or old... then the better the fish blood lines that are out there.

Though when it's all said and done the only sustainable way I see of doing it is to take what you eat (don't believe in freezing fish to eat).

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 am

yepi'mon wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:

Interesting mate, certainly makes sense when you put numbers to it. His other reason was bloodlines - the more "breeding" fish there are, young or old... then the better the fish blood lines that are out there.

Though when it's all said and done the only sustainable way I see of doing it is to take what you eat (don't believe in freezing fish to eat).
Hmm that's a weird argument...I don't think that would be an issue with gummies, or any marine species really. This is generally only a problem when a population becomes geographically isolated and low gene flow results in a genetic bottleneck. Gummies move big distances (eg: between bass straight and the bays), they are a huge population, and there would be constant gene flow in and out of the population. Gawaine Blake knows his stuff (I think) so maybe I'm not quite understanding what he means?

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:21 am

Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
Broomstick wrote:

Hmm that's a weird argument...I don't think that would be an issue with gummies, or any marine species really. This is generally only a problem when a population becomes geographically isolated and low gene flow results in a genetic bottleneck. Gummies move big distances (eg: between bass straight and the bays), they are a huge population, and there would be constant gene flow in and out of the population. Gawaine Blake knows his stuff (I think) so maybe I'm not quite understanding what he means?
I can't speak for him and I could have it wrong, the talk was awhile back now. All the point's I've made (of his) I believe were more for the purpose of "don't feel bad about taking a big gummy if you want" as opposed to "only take the big ones, not the small ones, for these specific reasons".

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Boxhead wrote:I am not sure about the bigger ones.
But back in mid 80's I used to do a fair bit of Marlin & Tuna fishing out of Bermagui.
We had a mid size (120kg) Marlin capture on light line, the fish came to the boat very worn out and would not survive. We decided to boat it and fillet the fish after weigh in (was kept cool under flowing water, towels and ice. Was also captured at end of day). it was very nice cut into steaks about 1.5-2 inches thick and cooked on BBQ.
Kimtown wrote:Is marlin even good to eat? I know Swordfish is alright, similar?
There are always exceptional circumstances like that.

The artical is unclear on fight time or fish exhaustion etc.

Return to “Game Fishing”