Portland Tuna - Now

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Davidsch1

Re: Portland Tuna - Now

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:16 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:Sorry to jump back to earlier post, but where exactly is the "rock"?

I'm hoping to get down to Portland, and also up to Bermi with our new 7.6m boat and catch some tuna. Barrels would be nice, but I'd also be content with some small ones too, since it will be my first.

Hoping to get a lot more into game fishing in the next years, so already buying the gear for it (rollered game rods and tiagras) :-D
The rock, it Lawrence Rock, and my advice is to go around it and not to try and cut between it and the main land. I saw some boats take the short cut so I decided to follow, only to be confront with a wave between 3-4 metres in height.
OK, thanks for that advice. I might have a big boat, but I don't think I wish to meet waves that size! :o_0:

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:17 am

scott__henning wrote:Just finished up 3 days of fishing at Portland, was hard going with most of the fish caught in the first 2 hours of sunlight the last few days.

We dropped a barrel after an hour and fifteen yesterday morning pulling the hooks 10m from the boat, and didn't get another look in after that. Ahh well
Any pics? :water:

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:22 am

Davidsch1 wrote:
scott__henning wrote:Just finished up 3 days of fishing at Portland, was hard going with most of the fish caught in the first 2 hours of sunlight the last few days.

We dropped a barrel after an hour and fifteen yesterday morning pulling the hooks 10m from the boat, and didn't get another look in after that. Ahh well
No picks of the fish due to the "early release".
Attachments
IMG_6646.JPG
IMG_6643.JPG

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:24 am

Davidsch1 wrote:
Brett wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:
Hoping to get a lot more into game fishing in the next years, so already buying the gear for it (rollered game rods and tiagras) :-D

You dint happen to buy 2 of those rods and reels yesterday did you?
No, I bought them a few months ago now lol :-D

hahaha ok, just happens I was in a shop last evening and someone bought 2 exact same setups lol.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 am

scott__henning wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:

Some nice soundings! Good to hear they are moving in! Aren't they here most of summer, or are they just moving through?

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:30 am

Brett wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:
Brett wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:

hahaha ok, just happens I was in a shop last evening and someone bought 2 exact same setups lol.
I get a lot of my gear either online, or if I can twist the staffs hands at BCF for a GOOD bargain! Also helps when one of the staff from BCF has a son who happens to be the one we bought our new boat from! :cheers:

I want to get one more setup before game season, still tossing up if I'll get just another tiagra 50 or move up to an 80.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:10 am

Davidsch1 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:Sorry to jump back to earlier post, but where exactly is the "rock"?

I'm hoping to get down to Portland, and also up to Bermi with our new 7.6m boat and catch some tuna. Barrels would be nice, but I'd also be content with some small ones too, since it will be my first.

The rock, it Lawrence Rock, and my advice is to go around it and not to try and cut between it and the main land. I saw some boats take the short cut so I decided to follow, only to be confront with a wave between 3-4 metres in height.
OK, thanks for that advice. I might have a big boat, but I don't think I wish to meet waves that size! :o_0:
The landing on the other side hurt.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Davidsch1 wrote:
scott__henning wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:

Some nice soundings! Good to hear they are moving in! Aren't they here most of summer, or are they just moving through?
Depends on the bait. They will be where the bait is. If the bait disappears, they will follow it. They won't hang around unless there is food on offer...

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Davidsch1 wrote:
Brett wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:
Brett wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:

I get a lot of my gear either online, or if I can twist the staffs hands at BCF for a GOOD bargain! Also helps when one of the staff from BCF has a son who happens to be the one we bought our new boat from! :cheers:

I want to get one more setup before game season, still tossing up if I'll get just another tiagra 50 or move up to an 80.
How many of each you have?

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:24 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:
Brett wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:
Brett wrote:

How many of each you have?
Not enough!!! :-D :-D

A couple of 50s and a 30 at the moment

Return to “Game Fishing”