Portland Tuna - Now

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Portland Tuna - Now

Post by frozenpod » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Tiagra 50WLRSA will catch everything the 80 does if you spool it with braid.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:32 pm

frozenpod wrote:Tiagra 50WLRSA will catch everything the 80 does if you spool it with braid.
Yep. Just top shot 100m or so of mono and done

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 pm

I caught a 215kg blue marlin on a 50wlrsa 2 hours 25 min just use the boat to help get more line back on the reel

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Brett wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Why not.
Not a justifiable reason.

The limit per angler is 4 rods, so why in the blue blazers should I supply rods for every other person on the boat.
C'mon Brett, don't be a tightarse :tongue:

Sorry Brett :rofl:

Brett

Post by Brett » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Brett wrote:

The limit per angler is 4 rods, so why in the blue blazers should I supply rods for every other person on the boat.

hahahahaha :a_goodjob:

'll help a guy out if they come fishing with me as I have gear here for them to use, but buy extra outfits just so I can take ppl out fishing, nah not for me lol.
I've lent gear to several members on here, when they didn't have the gear for the fishing we were doing, but I don't need to buy friends by supplying gear, so I'm not about to. lol :o_0:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Brett wrote:
Redhunter wrote:
Brett wrote:

hahahahaha :a_goodjob:

'll help a guy out if they come fishing with me as I have gear here for them to use, but buy extra outfits just so I can take ppl out fishing, nah not for me lol.
I've lent gear to several members on here, when they didn't have the gear for the fishing we were doing, but I don't need to buy friends by supplying gear, so I'm not about to. lol :o_0:
Ok so on your theory of 4 rods each. put it this way to go big marlin fishing you can use 4 either 50s or 80s. Then hitting yellowfin tuna at portland or makos or use 4 x 30s so either you could buy 8 sets ups for your self so why not let your mate use the rods you have.

Brett

Post by Brett » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:17 pm

smile0784 wrote: Ok so on your theory of 4 rods each. put it this way to go big marlin fishing you can use 4 either 50s or 80s. Then hitting yellowfin tuna at portland or makos or use 4 x 30s so either you could buy 8 sets ups for your self so why not let your mate use the rods you have.

You can drag this out as much as you like.
How ever I would not buy 8 outfits, I'd be happy with 2 x 50's and 2 x 25/30's that's a total of 4 outfits.
If I lost fish so be it. I'd happily let mates use these outfits if they came out, BUT I certainly wouldn't buy extras just so they had gear to use, as you suggested earlier.
It's fishing for crying out loud not a pissing contest.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Look its pretty simple. If you want to have a whole spread (more likely if you fish solo or fish with blokes who don't do a lot of game fishing) that fine. Its also fine to only have a couple of setups, especially when you fish with other blokes who do a bit of game fishing and have their own gear to bring along.

Its entirely up to the individual. My first marlin season I had 1x50 and 1x30. Still caught marlin and it wasn't an issue. For the tuna a mate brought along one of his 50's so we had 3 rods. (naturally the barrel we got was on the 30, so that was fun...) but we still got the fish so again that was ok.

This season ive got 5x50's and 1x30, but that is because
1. I can afford it
2. I fish with a few blokes who don't own a boat and don't have the gear
3. I've got outriggers for this season and want to run a full spread on occasion.
4. I like shiny things and spend way too much time in tackle stores.

But thats just me, there's no set method for game fishing, do what you like! :a_goodjob:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:44 pm

scott__henning wrote:Look its pretty simple. If you want to have a whole spread (more likely if you fish solo or fish with blokes who don't do a lot of game fishing) that fine. Its also fine to only have a couple of setups, especially when you fish with other blokes who do a bit of game fishing and have their own gear to bring along.

Its entirely up to the individual. My first marlin season I had 1x50 and 1x30. Still caught marlin and it wasn't an issue. For the tuna a mate brought along one of his 50's so we had 3 rods. (naturally the barrel we got was on the 30, so that was fun...) but we still got the fish so again that was ok.

This season ive got 5x50's and 1x30, but that is because
1. I can afford it
2. I fish with a few blokes who don't own a boat and don't have the gear
3. I've got outriggers for this season and want to run a full spread on occasion.
4. I like shiny things and spend way too much time in tackle stores.

But thats just me, there's no set method for game fishing, do what you like! :a_goodjob:
Well said

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:08 pm

When we started we put 6 outfits together.

Short corner, long corner, short rigger, long rigger, shot gun and a spare rigged with a livie.

5 x 50's and 1 x 30

Return to “Game Fishing”