Portland Tuna - Now

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
snapper hunter

Portland Tuna - Now

Post by snapper hunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Just made the trip over to Portand for the barrels for one day, and it was good to be out there amongst it but it has left me with a heap of questions.

First of all, do you need the numbers to actually catch these fish? It just seems like the same people keep catching them. These people talk and share numbers. There is even evidence on this on youtube.

Secondly, we saw dolphins busting up bait, seals and whales, but I did not see a single tuna break the surface. Does this mean I am in the wrong place?

We trolled skirts and hardbodied lures for hours and hours. Is this the right strategy? Should we be driving for the majority of time at speed to cover more ground and try to locate the feeding fish before trolling for them?

The last question is about bait, there was hardly any bait out there. We were apparently in the right area but struggled to find bait fish.

I look forward to getting your thoughts cause after trolling all day, I came in thinking the barrels had moved on, only to find 2 at the gantry.

Simon Renaldi got one
Dave Standing got the other one

Sinsemilla

Re: Portland Tuna - Now

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:47 pm

What do you mean by talk and share numbers?

Lure choice, How you setup your spread and how far back you set your lures make the difference i reckon but that's the game when going for barrels mate. Many many hours for maybe a fish here and there if that..

I've hooked up to a barrel with 50 other boats trolling around me. I was just the lucky one.

How many times have you gone for barrels if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers, Anth

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:51 pm

I do not claim to be a Portland expert but suggest you ask yourself the question just how many boats were out after the SBT that day. If for example there were 20 (and one would presume that some of those were very experienced in that area) it works out at 10 boat days per fish. Like all types of game fishing you need to put in the hours/days/weeks, talk to and learn from those that were successful, and surely your turn will come. Water that is a desert one day can be alive with fish the next!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Some times you get the rite colour lures and the fish are just out side the harbour and you can bag out in a few hrs.

Otherdays you can travel 50 +miles and change lures multiple time for no fish.

Thats just fishing.

Even if you find the bait and the birds are diving the fish still mite take the lures and only hit dead baits.
Thats just fishing.
I been down there 4 times with no fish.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 pm

snapper hunter wrote:Just made the trip over to Portand for the barrels for one day, and it was good to be out there amongst it but it has left me with a heap of questions.

First of all, do you need the numbers to actually catch these fish? It just seems like the same people keep catching them. These people talk and share numbers. There is even evidence on this on youtube.

Secondly, we saw dolphins busting up bait, seals and whales, but I did not see a single tuna break the surface. Does this mean I am in the wrong place?

We trolled skirts and hardbodied lures for hours and hours. Is this the right strategy? Should we be driving for the majority of time at speed to cover more ground and try to locate the feeding fish before trolling for them?

The last question is about bait, there was hardly any bait out there. We were apparently in the right area but struggled to find bait fish.

I look forward to getting your thoughts cause after trolling all day, I came in thinking the barrels had moved on, only to find 2 at the gantry.

Simon Renaldi got one

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=18190

Read the above link.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:05 pm

snapper hunter wrote:Just made the trip over to Portand for the barrels for one day, and it was good to be out there amongst it but it has left me with a heap of questions.

Simon Renaldi got one
I understand that at least one was caught near Cape Bridgewater.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:

Simon Renaldi got one

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=18190

Read the above link.
I forgot about that link wolly

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:What do you mean by talk and share numbers?

Lure choice, How you setup your spread and how far back you set your lures make the difference i reckon but that's the game when going for barrels mate. Many many hours for maybe a fish here and there if that.

I've hooked up to a barrel with 50 other boats trolling around me. I was just the lucky one.

How many times have you gone for barrels if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers, Anth
Share numbers means, give GPS co-ordinates.

I have been out 4 times targeting a barrel, not school size tuna. When I am trolling for barrels, all outfits are 37kg and no skirt under 12 inches, the only exception is the X-rap with Jobu hooks.

To date, I have never actualy even seen a barrel break the surface but I am determined to get one.

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:

Simon Renaldi got one
I understand that at least one was caught near Cape Bridgewater.
Thanks, I trolled that area all day. There were a few boats there.

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas

Return to “Game Fishing”