Portland 6/7/17

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
ChrisAbout

Portland 6/7/17

Post by ChrisAbout » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:36 am

Went out with a mate's boat and his 15y old kid. They had never been offshore so he asked me to drive his 6m boat.

They refused to take sea sickness pills and the kid started to throw up as soon as we went past Lawrence rocks. :) He didnt want to turn back though, so we pushed in to the 100m mark where the charters were.

Conditions were average, however lots of birds but none diving. Wind and waves made it difficult too. But when you have to be the skipper and the deckie in unstable seas with two newbies fishing, things are a lot worse. Trolled up and around 100m for no bites, then at 12pm got hit by some nasty 10-15knot NW winds. Swell wasn't helping either.

Already buggered and tired from steering his non-power steered heavy engine/boat, I pulled the pin and turned back to ramp (which was a slow and tiring process).

I guess it beats work.

Can't wait to head back out there with the usual crew! :) :thumbsup:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Portland 6/7/17

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 am

ChrisAbout wrote:Went out with a mate's boat and his 15y old kid. They had never been offshore so he asked me to drive his 6m boat.

They refused to take sea sickness pills and the kid started to throw up as soon as we went past Lawrence rocks. :) He didnt want to turn back though, so we pushed in to the 100m mark where the charters were.

Conditions were average, however lots of birds but none diving. Wind and waves made it difficult too. But when you have to be the skipper and the deckie in unstable seas with two newbies fishing, things are a lot worse. Trolled up and around 100m for no bites, then at 12pm got hit by some nasty 10-15knot NW winds. Swell wasn't helping either.

Already buggered and tired from steering his non-power steered heavy engine/boat, I pulled the pin and turned back to ramp (which was a slow and tiring process).

I guess it beats work.

Can't wait to head back out there with the usual crew! :) :thumbsup:
Yeah I pulled the pin, and heading to Apollo bay next trip, plan to hit portland april next year.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:21 am

Sounds like it's been a bit of a crap tuna season so far. I might stay closer to home until some good reports start coming in.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:59 am

hahaha i always have a chuckle when they refuse to take the tablts saying they will be ok.
i lived on an island for 19 years and boats are second nature, even i take the tablets when im offshore to avoid suprises. hope the kid was ok, its the worst feeling though..
if i was skipper i would have made them take it if they were first timers.

tuna season seem pretty shite this time from what phils told me, he says warm water is pushing down the coast and so no bait etc.
we caught our fish in 13degrees of water almost at the end of summer/start of autumn
the water is now 16 degrees, warmer than when it was in summer loll.
also explains why more than a few good snapper have been caught lately perhaps..

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 pm

purple5ive wrote:hahaha i always have a chuckle when they refuse to take the tablts saying they will be ok.
i lived on an island for 19 years and boats are second nature, even i take the tablets when im offshore to avoid suprises. hope the kid was ok, its the worst feeling though..
if i was skipper i would have made them take it if they were first timers.

tuna season seem pretty shite this time from what phils told me, he says warm water is pushing down the coast and so no bait etc.
we caught our fish in 13degrees of water almost at the end of summer/start of autumn
the water is now 16 degrees, warmer than when it was in summer loll.
also explains why more than a few good snapper have been caught lately perhaps..
At the beginning of June, some of the charters were returning around luchtime having bagout down at Cape Bridgewater. Conditions were a tad rough. so I didn't go that far, but to cape nelson. After this the tuna catch rate seemed to plummet. Then some were getting caught out at the shelf.

Port McDonnell was reported to be fishing really well, so I headed there one day, only to score another donut. Radio chatter was that boats were fishing in the same area and couldn't find a fish, where the day before one bloke reported catching 24 ( I assume he was catching and releasing). I think I actually went over the top of the tuna/bait. This was in fairly shallow at 10-15 metres. When I got back I asked them about what I assumed was a kelp bed, which I now realize that the bottom 1/3 was just jammed packed with bait and it showed sold red to the bottom.

Then the beginning of July reports of tuna off Port Fairy began to filter in with Magnetic and Reeltime both catching Tuna for their customers. I was on the water on Tuesday and did think of heading east, but went west and caught donuts.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:. I think I actually went over the top of the tuna/bait. This was in fairly shallow at 10-15 metres. When I got back I asked them about what I assumed was a kelp bed, which I now realize that the bottom 1/3 was just jammed packed with bait and it showed sold red to the bottom.
what setting did you have the Sounder on, the High chirp settings would have distinguished to some extent the bait and the actual tuna, also downscan and sidescan would have showed what was there 100%
but half the time we forget to switch frequencies and have a proper look, this is where the bigger screens come in handy as you can have them all spread out on one screen and still be readable.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:07 pm

4liters wrote:Sounds like it's been a bit of a crap tuna season so far. I might stay closer to home until some good reports start coming in.
Has tuna schooled around the SE suburbs Ian???

All joking aside, I'm fixing my cabin and forward lighting and then going to hit the local bays for some night time gummie sessions.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:18 pm

ChrisAbout wrote:
4liters wrote:Sounds like it's been a bit of a crap tuna season so far. I might stay closer to home until some good reports start coming in.

All joking aside, I'm fixing my cabin and forward lighting and then going to hit the local bays for some night time gummie sessions.
I saw some yellow fin in the Fountain Gate Aldi the other week. Probably not much fun even on light gear when they're all cut up into steaks, frozen and vac sealed though
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:26 pm

At least you had a crack there Chris about

Better than work.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:04 pm

4liters wrote:
ChrisAbout wrote:

I saw some yellow fin in the Fountain Gate Aldi the other week. Probably not much fun even on light gear when they're all cut up into steaks, frozen and vac sealed though
Pretty sure I have a rod for that
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Game Fishing”